Putting day old chicks under broody hen

KDawn02

Chirping
Jan 29, 2023
Hi all,
I have a blue laced red wyandotte that has been broody for over a month. I can't break her. I'm going to buy a couple chicks for her to stick under her tonight. Does anyone have any experience with the Wyandotte breed adopting chicks? I did this a while ago with a buff orpington hen and it worked great. I'm just not sure how good of mothers the Wyandotte breed is. I've never had a broody Wyandotte. Thanks in advance.

Wyandottes, including blue laced red Wyandottes, are generally known to be frequent broodies and excellent mothers. My blue Wyandottes certainly fit that bill, including willingly accepting feed store chicks. But i also have broodies that will Not accept chicks that they didnt hatch themselves. You will never know until you try. Good luck with a sucessful adoption, and assuming all goes well, post some pictures tomorrow of the new happy family!

Everything went well and the hen accepted her new babies!!!!! You can see a few of the babies heads poking out.

Attachments

• PXL_20230728_132645692.jpg
    PXL_20230728_132645692.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 18
Great to know she loves her new babies! Her lacing looks really nice; do you know which hatchery she came from? I ask because I actually got 4 blue laced red wyandotte pullets just this past weekend that I stuck under a broody, to go with the 8 EEs she hatched herself. Like many others have done, I went into the feed store intending to only buy feed, and found myself walking out with chicks!😄

Great to know she loves her new babies! Her lacing looks really nice; do you know which hatchery she came from? I ask because I actually got 4 blue laced red wyandotte pullets just this past weekend that I stuck under a broody, to go with the 8 EEs she hatched herself. Like many others have done, I went into the feed store intending to only buy feed, and found myself walking out with chicks!😄
I want to say I got her from my pet chicken online. I think she's 4 years old.

Back
Top Bottom