Putting ducks up at night - suggestions?

When we train our standard ducks to go into a new house for the night we put a temporary fence around the house and leave them in that area for about 1-2 weeks.....we coral them into the house at night to lock them up, then let them in the temporary run during the day.

How many Muscovy do you have penned in the tractor at night?
I'm asking because I am finding that Scovy get pretty territorial beginning about that age. If they think they are too crowded or just don't like one of the others that is settling next to them, they will fuss, hiss, poke and bite & if possible run the offending Scovy or Scovies OUT of their space or even out of the pen or duck house.
roll.png
Keep working w/them and if it's that they are too crowded see about separating them into two nightpens/spaces if you can. Good luck!

I agree with 1duckychick. Mine act the same way. Just up to about a week ago, they would actually be waiting inside their pen at sundown, but this last week I had to herd them in. A friend gave me a mallard and he's trying to lead my Pekins astray. When they were little I use to catch a few flies for them in he barn and give it to them when I put them in their pen, but I since they started free ranging during the day I no longer give them or my chickens feed at night. "minifarmer" mentioned using hog panels to guide his ducks in. I use to use a half open gate to guide my geese into their pen at night but they would get to the gate and stop looking confused. I'm not sure what they see? I took away my "guide" and they go right in:/

Thanks all of you! Tonight my sister helped me -- we tried withholding feed during the day. Some were still resistant, but they went in better than they have been.

Back
Top Bottom