Putting eggs under a broody

Pics
Yesterday was day 21 and she successfully hatched 1 of the 4 eggs that went into the final stretch. Two eggs didn't cross the finish line and we found one of the hatched chicks dead underneath her. Not clear what happened, there was nothing obviously wrong. She appears to be doing great with the chick she has. She is staying on the nest and pecked us when we removed the dead one. Any drawbacks to her only having a single chick to raise? I have 6 silkies that are probably a few days old in my brooder that I could give her as well.

I had a hen raise a single chick a couple of years ago. They were perfectly fine together -- in fact mom really doted on that chick. It did take a little longer for the lone chick to find her place in the flock when the broody was done mothering, but she is doing great now.

Thank you. I think I’ll leave things alone and let her parent the solo Speckled Sussex and pray it’s a pullet. ;) When can I expect her to show it out of the nest box? I haven’t seen her leave yet but I’m only in the coop a few times a day.

Thank you. I think I’ll leave things alone and let her parent the solo Speckled Sussex and pray it’s a pullet. ;) When can I expect her to show it out of the nest box? I haven’t seen her leave yet but I’m only in the coop a few times a day.
It depends on the hen. Some get them out within 24 hours, some hang out up to 3 days. It also depends on what is going on in the nest. A lot will linger over unhatched eggs. If I understood your prior posts correctly, there are no more eggs under her? If so, I would expect her to make her exit soon.

And, pictures please, if you are able. I love seeing a new broody with her chick(s).

It depends on the hen. Some get them out within 24 hours, some hang out up to 3 days. It also depends on what is going on in the nest. A lot will linger over unhatched eggs. If I understood your prior posts correctly, there are no more eggs under her? If so, I would expect her to make her exit soon.

And, pictures please, if you are able. I love seeing a new broody with her chick(s).
Yes, she only has the 1 chick and possibly some eggshell left. No chick sightings yet but here is crabby Astrid on her baby. She’s being a good mama, very protective.
2D8C7DFD-2D5D-4FC0-8038-377BFA767E32.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom