Putting 'fake eggs' in the chicken coop

mrsfarmchick1

Songster
Dec 24, 2010
Bandera, Texas
I just posted a photo of my first egg and then went to some more posts and did not see mention of 'fake eggs' to induce pullets to lay. Yesterday a friend mentioned that the local feed store sells fake eggs and that is what made her hens start to lay. Well, I put 6 'fake eggs' in the coop yesterday (with 4 pullets that had not laid any eggs) and today I found a beautiful brown egg right beside them. I could not believe how effective this was.
wee.gif

Have ya'll seen the same results so fast (less than 24 hours)?????

Quote:
I will have to try putting a few 'fake eggs' in my nest box. I have 26 pullets that are around 21 or 22 weeks old that should start laying soon. I will let you know if it makes them lay and how fast.

Fake eggs don't make pullets start to lay, it shows them where they're supposed to lay. They'll lay when they are ready and fake eggs have nothing to do with that.

Fake eggs don't make pullets start to lay, it shows them where they're supposed to lay. They'll lay when they are ready and fake eggs have nothing to do with that.

Correct

Thanks for the insight - now I need to scout around their free range area (oh-boy!)
barnie.gif

Quote:
I will have to try putting a few 'fake eggs' in my nest box. I have 26 pullets that are around 21 or 22 weeks old that should start laying soon. I will let you know if it makes them lay and how fast.

Got my first egg yesterday at 25 weeks and two days, no additional light added. Hang in there, it will happen before you know it!

Quote:

Got my first egg yesterday at 25 weeks and two days, no additional light added. Hang in there, it will happen before you know it!

I actually used golf balls in my nest boxes-at least until I had enough girls laying that I didn't need to use them anymore. I still find an occasional egg on the floor, but I think that they are being "kicked out" of the lower boxes, not actually laid there.

lol.png
I put plastic eggs in there nesting boxes and they broke. So I put wooden ones in them. All 12 of our chickens thought that were all going to use on box. Now they have there own boxes. If one of the wooden ones gets knocked out of the box, someone will lay an egg next to it on the floor. I also have one that thinks she is suppose to lay in the shavings bag. Weird chicken she is.

I actually used golf balls in my nest boxes-at least until I had enough girls laying that I didn't need to use them anymore. I still find an occasional egg on the floor, but I think that they are being "kicked out" of the lower boxes, not actually laid there.

LOL! That is hilarious! I just thought of a question - how many eggs will you get if you put a golf ball in a chicken roost???? Answer: FOUR!!!!!!!!!​

Back
Top Bottom