Putting my 4 weekers with my 10 weekers.....

I bought my chicks from a local source and they are all sorts of ages ranging from 1 day old to 6 weeks old. I put the bigger ones in the coop already and then the next batch about a week later, they seem to keep themselves seaperated. I still have 6 in the house untill they get big enough to go out, some 4 week old sumatras, and 2 silkies (2weeks old).
I haven't had a problem with anyone being super bad/mean, though they are starting to establish pecking order.

welcome-byc.gif
I agree with the other posts. You can try to put them together and see how it goes since there isn't a big age difference. If you do see any pecking, I would separate them but make it so they can still see each other.

I faced the same dilemma last year. I took a very large dog crate and ran chicken wire down the middle of it, carefully cutting out some of the wire so food and water could be obtained from both sides. This took me several hours to do. To make a long story a little shorter, the little ones figured out how to get to the other side within minutes. The older girls were confused at first but after a few hours had the little ones uder their wings. Babies raising babies. Can't put into words how adorable this was. I hope you obtain same results it was unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom