Putting on a wing band

Prettiest Frog

Cooped Up
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
Once upon a time, I had a link to a video that showed a wing band being put on a bird. I tried to get it to show my sister for her birds, but the video won't run now. Does anyone have a link to another video, or a good picture of how it is done? She's very nervous doing it just off a description.

hu.gif
What is a wing band, and what is it's real purpose?

It's a permanent tag for the birds that you can put on when they are about a day old, you push it through the web of the wing (if you do it right there isn't blood) and then clamp it shut. I still like leg tags on adult birds as they are easier to spot, but the wing tag doesn't fall off or have to be changed.

We do wing bands at about 6 months on birds we are keeping or selling as breeder/show quality stock. Ours are custom imprinted with Premier Silkies into them as well as numbered.
This helps us not only keep track of the stock, but to verify at shows it is indeed our bird. Ours are riveted into the skin on the wing and indeed on the bird for the life.
Pet quality birds I sell have no wing bands on them. We also use ABA bands & some of our older stock have alum leg bands.
I view it as no more than an ear piercing or the annoying yearly testing I have to do on the breeder stock.
Connie

here's a video on proper placement and applicatorless bands.

this video shows how to use the applicator that comes with the Jiffy bands (which are super easy and what i choose).

when i banded mine 2 months ago, it was the first time for me and i hadn't seen the videos. it was so much easier than i thought, but these videos would have set my mind at ease a bit. my birds didn't seem to mind at all other than a quick evaluation once the bands were on.

Last edited:
Quote:
I just got wing bands today, the jiffy 893 bands. The birds I was trying to put them on are around 6 months of age. And I am having a hard time getting the bands to work. Do you have any tips for putting them on adult birds. Thanks.

Where did you get your wing bands? I have watched lots of videos and I want to do the jiffys as well but none of our stores carry them.

You won't be able buy them locally, they will have to be ordered. I got mine from National Band

http://www.nationalband.com/nbtpoult.htm

Same here, some other poultry sites sell them comparatively priced. But they normally do up to like 400 then its extra for print. After the birds grow to 1/2 sized or so actually use medium sized livestock tags. Its much easier trying to read numbers on the bird. My jiffy tags are like 1/8 x 1/2 in. and my eyes are going. I use hog tags that are pre-numbered that were being tossed by hog barns because their tags were being revamped.
These also are noticeable w/o picking up the bird. So if your like me, tag breeders and not table eggers, you can tell at a glance if someone is out of place.

I have done this once before but cannot seem to figure out if the band encloses the tendon or if the tendon is on the "outside" of the tendon.

Back
Top Bottom