1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

putting pullets in the hens coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by carmen chicks, Nov 26, 2011.

1. carmen chicks

carmen chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    My pullets are 16 weeks old i put them in the coop with the hens for the first time tonight, i am wondering will they be ok or should i take them out.

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:If they are not fighting or any obvious issues I wouldn't worry too much and tomorrow they should wake up together and be fine. Sometimes there may be a squabble or two, but normally they will soon settle in together.

3. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I had 3 pullets who I threw in with 3 hens. Well they kind of get along but still have issues even after 3 weeks together. I started them off by seperating them during the night with a wire wall for one week and they could get used to one another. Once I took the wall down everything seems to be ok although they still have issues. Just last night I checked and 2 little ones were sleeping in the nest box as they were not allowed on the roost by the head hen. During the day they are still 2 flocks when they free range and hopefully they will become one soon. Good luck!

4. Janelschickenfarm

Janelschickenfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    If you do it at night it should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by