Putting them into the coop

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
My ducklings are getting to the age where they will be able to stay out in the "big girls coop" AkA the chicken coop.

Right now they go out into the pen/coop during the daytime and I put them back into their own large dog crate at night.

Is there any certain way I should go about leaving them in their over night? I've never seen them go into the coop at dusk like the chickens do, should I just put them in the to the coop at night?

Thanks for your feed back.

We have to physically put our ducks away at night. We do that because there's been cougar sightings over the last 6 weeks. Raccoons and such, I think our pen will keep out. Cougars, not so much.

Laurie

Unless your pen is predator proof you should lock them up in some sort of safe structure. Not sure exactly what you are asking - do you mean how do you get them to go inside? Some people feed their ducks in the structure at night, others give them a special treat. A lot of us suceed by herding them with our arms outstreached. If you do this while you tell them "bedtime" they will often get the idea and just go in when you say that without having to be herded. I think mine know they are safer at night inside so they often go in before I even come to lock them up.

Thr time spent in training them to go in the coop themselves is more productive than having to put them in the coop each night. just remember to check that they are all inside before closing up at night. (I once had one that came pecking at My house door because she got left out one night. Smart Duck!)

Back
Top Bottom