putting together a duck first aid kit, any suggustions?

Pekin duck mom

Songster
Nov 21, 2020
I recently lost a duck due to sickness so I'm on full alert!! My ducks go in a quarantine pen overnight (longer if needed) at the first sign of a problem!😁 I have a first aid kit for our dogs but need one for our ducks...anyone know what all I should have in case of emergency? Bonus points for medicine I should have over the counter!

I recently lost a duck due to sickness so I'm on full alert!! My ducks go in a quarantine pen overnight (longer if needed) at the first sign of a problem!😁 I have a first aid kit for our dogs but need one for our ducks...anyone know what all I should have in case of emergency? Bonus points for medicine I should have over the counter!
Wow this is such a smart idea! I’m gonna do this now as a mum to 12 ducks! And a duck breeder 😉

For me personally, I find it very handy to keep Terrimycin (if eye problems would ever arise), vetricyn (for wounds), and some vetwrap if needed, I also keep zinc-free antibiotic on hand. So sorry you lost a duck recently. I recently rescued a duck and I used all of these items. Best of luck with your duck first aid kit.

I would suggest having a feeding tube. If a duck gets to the point of needing one, you won't have much time to get it before the duck will die from dehydration and starvation. I lost one duck this way and wished I had a way to tube feed it.

I asked @Isaac 0 about this before, he also suggested activated charcoal. Do we have an article on this? Because I feel like we need one of we don't have any.

I would suggest having a feeding tube. If a duck gets to the point of needing one, you won't have much time to get it before the duck will die from dehydration and starvation. I lost one duck this way and wished I had a way to tube feed it.

I asked @Isaac 0 about this before, he also suggested activated charcoal. Do we have an article on this? Because I feel like we need one of we don't have any.
Yes! Thank you! Also, YES!!! @Isaac 0 has helped me soooo much!!!! I will get a feeding tube and activated charcoal.

For me personally, I find it very handy to keep Terrimycin (if eye problems would ever arise), vetricyn (for wounds), and some vetwrap if needed, I also keep zinc-free antibiotic on hand. So sorry you lost a duck recently. I recently rescued a duck and I used all of these items. Best of luck with your duck first aid kit.
Yes!!! @Isaac 0 suggested Terrimycin as well! I actually could have used all of these on Lucky (my duck that passed away). I wasn't very educated on duck diseases as they are my first ducks so he got bad before I knew what to do.😢

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom