putting up fencing in my back yard?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sheeshshe, Jun 11, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Songster

May 6, 2009
    If I put up a 3 or 4ft fence around the parameter of my back yard can I feel safe leaving my chickens out during the day (with the exception of birds of prey)? I am home most of the day but I still dont feel safe with my chicks outside unless IM outside with them.

will foxes and other day predators climb a fence? how about skunks?

2. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    That's a short fence... Foxes will dig under or jump it. Skunks are out mostly at night I think.
    I don't let my birds free range... I wish I could, but there are too many dogs, cats, foxes, hawks, coons and CARS.
    If it were me, I wouldn't do it unless I was right there with them.

3. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Songster

May 4, 2009
    Depending on the type of chickens, most can perch on a 4 foot fence, which won't make it effective in protecting them.

Most predators can easily get over a 4ft fence. You'd have to cover it with tied-down netting.

How big of an area are you looking to fence in?

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    my buff orps easily scale something that high..... at least 6 if you can...

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    I am home during the day and I have a 4 foot fence. I do intend to let my chickens free range within the fenced area. They will be locked up in their coop at night.

While there is still a chance of predators getting in, at least you are home and can keep an eye on things. It is really up to you and your comfort level. I wouldn't go with anything shorter than a 4 foot fence. If you really want it to be a bit more secure, buy 6 foot fence, bury 1 foot of it and have it be 5 feet high. That will keep out more predators but anything that wants to get to your chickens that bad will probably find a way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: