putting weight on a chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 920utlaw, Jul 11, 2010.

1. 920utlaw

920utlaw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Chicago
    I have a new chicken. She's healthy but a little underwieght. What should I do or feed to get her back to normal. Any special feed or supplements?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    has she been wormed?

Check her poop for worms... if you see them, there are a goodly number of products.

For weight I'd use flock raiser and scratch... as long as it's not too warm there in chicagoland.

3. Tater n Beans

Tater n Beans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Extreme South Texas
    All of our girls and boys (hens, roos, ducks, and geese) are a bit skinny right now...its just too darn hot. They are eating half as much as they were before the temp spiked. If anyone has any suggestions to help supplement their diet during the hot months, it would be appreciated. Currently they get flock raiser and a bit of scratch in the AM before it's too hot. I'm very frustrated with my skinny birds.

4. 920utlaw

920utlaw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Chicago
    I put wazine in the water. I haven't seen any worms in her poop. Should I try something stronger? Its been around 90 degrees lately and humidity has been high.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You probably don't have worms then.

It's just the time of year.

The other thing I'd try would be cold treats, grapes, yogurt and canned salmon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by