Puzzled in Kentucky.

pollo randy

Chirping
Apr 2, 2014
South Central Kentucky
I have chickens dying periodically and have all summer. Just had a young Roo die last night. I’ve have ask the vet and even had a necropsy done on one. They said it died of lymphoma. But I don’t have an answer for the rest. I believe they are all dying of the same thing.

Lymphoma is a type of cancerous tumor that is common in both Mareks disease and lymphoid leukosis, both viruses that can be fatal to some members of the flock. What were the symptoms of the chickens that died?

I have chickens dying periodically and have all summer. Just had a young Roo die last night. I’ve have ask the vet and even had a necropsy done on one. They said it died of lymphoma. But I don’t have an answer for the rest. I believe they are all dying of the same thing.
Lymphoma is a type of cancerous tumor that is common in both Mareks disease and lymphoid leukosis, both viruses that can be fatal to some members of the flock. What were the symptoms of the chickens that died?
They seem to separate from the rest of the flock and in later stages walking becomes an issue/difficult. I walked out and one had its beak in the dirt like it didn’t know what was going on or taking a nap. When they are at this point I usually find them dead by the next morning. I’ve lost most of the chicks I hatched this summer and a few older hens.

Have you noticed any with wry neck? Was the neck curled under it? Difficulty walking is more of a symptom of Mareks than leukosis.
Don’t believe I’ve noticed any wry neck. From what I’ve read about Mareks there is nothing that can be done after systems start. I’m assuming all my other chickens have been exposed at this point. I’ve raised chickens a long time and this is a first. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom