pvc feeder question

donaltman3

Chirping
Mar 29, 2017
Valdosta, GA
I see a lot of plans for people using the 3 inch pvc tube that goes downward into a sweep tee. Could I use 2 inch or will the opening be too small as the chickens get older? It looks like they would have plenty of room. My only guess is why they choose 3 inch is because it will hold more feed. Has anyone else used 2 inch?

It would be good to take up less space their enclosure and am considering doing the two inch with riser leading outside the coop and have a hopper made out of a 5 gallon bucket. Thoughts?

I see a lot of plans for people using the 3 inch pvc tube that goes downward into a sweep tee. Could I use 2 inch or will the opening be too small as the chickens get older? It looks like they would have plenty of room. My only guess is why they choose 3 inch is because it will hold more feed. Has anyone else used 2 inch?

It would be good to take up less space their enclosure and am considering doing the two inch with riser leading outside the coop and have a hopper made out of a 5 gallon bucket. Thoughts?

I have seen a lot of these too---but not reduced to 2". Most of the people that have built them in my area do not use them any more of just pour in enough feed for the day because in just about everyone of their feeder the chickens flip the food out on the ground---empting the whole feeder.

Instead of reduced I wanted to make the whole thing out of two inch. Maybe I'll rethink my whole feeding situation. I'll have 4 hens and want to get a set up where I can fill it up and have a weeks worth of food for them.

I've got a 4 inch and it holds about 20 pounds of pellets and the chickens do great with it and don't spill any feed.

I've got a 4 inch and it holds about 20 pounds of pellets and the chickens do great with it and don't spill any feed.
Question on this feeder? It looks like a extra piece was added to make the Y they eat out of longer? What do you do about the feed that sets in the bottom of the Y going bad/molding because their neck is not long enough to reach the bottom to keep that feed removed and new take its place? You got that fixed some way?

Last edited:
I made it so when there feed gets low I can slide the pvc up and I clean it out good before I refill. I also used the same size pvc for my automatic water. It was only 10 dollars for 10 ft.On the water 1 end I can unscrew it so I can clean it out.

I'm not positive but I think I am going to use a five gallon bucket with about a foot or so of one inch pvc going into the run with the nipples on it. Set the bucket outside so I can fill it easily and it not take up much room inside, Plus five gallons worth of water means less filling it up.

Back
Top Bottom