PVC feeder question

admhotel

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Rome, Ny
I am about to move the chicks into the new coop and am going to build one of the pvc feeders. Was wondering about the holes for them to eat through, what size should I make them? How far apart should they be? Any help would be great
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I didn't drill holes in mine. I find if you cut a 3" wide slot in the top of the 4" pipe the chickens can get their heads in to eat but can't rake the feed out with their beaks to spoil on the floor. Just my crazy thinking. I hate waste.

Here are pictures of my PVC feeder. I used a 2-1/8" door knob/ lock set drill bit. It's all glued up except the tube with the holes, so it can be rotated or replaced with another configuration of holes? The holes and how they are positioned works fine though. I designed mine with two fill tubes, holds more feed and aids in feed flow. I also hung it by screws, using keyhole system.
30865_pvc_feeder_001.jpg

30865_pvc_feeder_003.jpg

yuckyuck.gif
OMG I love that! I don't think its bunny, but I mainly wanted the sign
big_smile.png

That is fantastic and a great idea for our chicken home!
woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks!
Matthew Ryan

Well the feeder is built, now I am wondering how high should I mount the feeder. I am putting it through a wall so will be hard to adjust later on. I plan on using the deep litter method so I know I will have to adjust for that, but not sure how high it should be. I have standard size chicks and don't plan on getting any bantams. Thanks alot.

If you don't want to have to move it upwards as your chickens grow, you'll need to hang it at an appropriate height for a full grown hen (like 10" off the floor) but supply some sort of platform for your young ones to step up on so they can reach it.

Back
Top Bottom