PVC Feeder

I have my feeders outside and they've stayed dry.
The little hood seems to do the trick. The hood is a modified adapter used to connect pvc to gutters.

That looks VERY nice. Is there much waste from them putting their beaks in and spilling it? Also could you possibly do a close up of the gutters part? Is the vertical pipe actual PVC or is it drain pipe?

JimmyWalt,
Good eye, its actually double walled drain pipe.
The few pellets that do get knocked out are quickly eaten from the ground.
Heres that close up:

I cut the bottom flange off to give the hens easier access.

I bought all the supplies at homedepot, in their outdoor drainage section.

-4" double walled drain pipe
-90 degree, 4" elbow
-a 4" cap for the top
-a 4" down spout adapter
http://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-2-in-x-3-in-x-4-in-Styrene-Offset-Down-Spout-Adapter-904/100377412?N=bv13#.UUvHSFsac

So, we had a five pound feeder (steel construction) that our birds were just DUMPING into the coop. The scratched it everywhere, and we were filling their food maybe every other day. Decided to make these PVC feeders last week, and I am astounded at how clean the food has been, but how much they are no longer wasting! These were tool-free feeders. I just bough a five foot PVC pipe, cut it in half at Lowe's (they used a saw), bought the 45 degree wye connector, a cap for the top, and a few add ons for the bottom. Couldn't find a cap that worked. I also attached them with industrial velcro to the wall of the coop, and then used a small block of wood to set them on. Ended up being able to wedge them between the top of the coop and the bottom, with the velcro. LOVE it. \
What a neat idea! My chickens have been spilling their feed like crazy, so we've been trying to come up with another alternative. How many of this type of PVC feeder would you suggest that I'd need for 15 chickens? Also, can roosters eat okay in those? I just worry about them not being able to fit their combs in them :/

At least one of our hens had a pretty large comb. You'd be surprised how adaptable they are when it comes to their feed! With the pull of gravity, the feed spills pretty evenly, and I haven't noticed a problem with our hens. It would definitely be worth trying.

At two and a half feet tall, one feeder holds about 8 cups of feed (still more than a five pound feeder we were using, and wasting SO much less). We had six using the two. I would imagine if you increased the circumference of the PVC, say, maybe to 3 inches, for 15 healthy hens you'd require at least three. I would say just make them taller, and use a larger wye connecter for the comb access. The only reason ours our 2.5 feet is due to the height of the coop at that level (it slopes up). I have thought about adding one to their run, but they just go back inside if they get hungry.

Let me know how it works out!

Last edited:
JimmyWalt,
Heres that close up:

-90 degree, 4" elbow
-a 4" cap for the top
-a 4" down spout adapter
http://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-2-in-x-3-in-x-4-in-Styrene-Offset-Down-Spout-Adapter-904/100377412?N=bv13#.UUvHSFsac
Now what keeps the food from just pouring out the hole? I see the lip on there that holds the food in, but because of the tall pipe, why doesn't the food just keep flowing out on the ground?

I played around with how long to make the horizontal piece. I found that a 5 inch length allowed the pellets to pile up at the edge of the feeder without pouring out.

I am building a feeder with the 45 degree y pipe. What's the ideal height for the feeders to hang off the ground. It is hard for me to tell since they are still chicks.

JimmyWalt,
Heres that close up:

-90 degree, 4" elbow
-a 4" cap for the top
-a 4" down spout adapter
thumbsup.gif
I love this! I'm going to have to make myself a few!

Back
Top Bottom