PVC Pipes for Coop Frame

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bantimna, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I was thinking wouldn't these work well?
    Does anyone have anything ,advice, experince?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I would be worried about them sagging over a few months ... would you use anything to reinforce them? and what will you use to cover the coop?.. the weight may make them sag even faster

3. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    There was a guy in one of the coop contests -- I think he was in Florida -- who put up a coop with pvc pipe framed run. He painted the pipe red, and it looked really flashy. Also fairly sturdy.

I'll see if I can dig it out. stay tuned. . . .

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    This is only 6 feet wide and 10 feet long.

PVC Pen

Originally made in 2005 as a greenhouse using 1" PVC. When the wind shredded the cover I wrapped in it wire and made chicken pen. At the time of the picture I had Bobwhite Quail in it.

It did not stand up to the foot of snow on the 18th.
    PVC Pen

It is back up and only needed a few cheap pieces replaced.

It is really lite in weight. Has to be weighted or staked down. The good thing is that I can move it without help. I even move it out front to use as a quarenteen pen when I get in new birds.

Matt

Added:

use it in 2008 for letting the babies out of the brooders: Future Layers
    used it in 2007 for 4 turkeys I raised: YoYo and the palms Picture 1 , Picture 2 , Picture 3

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Thanks guy and gals

6. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    If you put in PVC plans you can see alot of fine things and make them your own pvc frame and osb to heip will work great

7. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Great thread and I like those links- is there any advice for making a PVC enclosure that will withstand snow or is it best used as a summer-only or temporary set up?

8. JayDe

JayDe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    I was just thinking that I should make a pvc moveable run/tractor for my silkies. Id love to see pictures of what people have created with or without coops attached. We have hawks during the day so letting them free range without us standing there is out of the question.

would chicken wire be sufficient--or poultry netting?

thanks!

9. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

No experience with it, but http://www.pvcplans.com/ has a couple things that would work. A greenhouse and a poultry pen.

10. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:Chicken wire works well to keep hawks and other flyers out, but ANY ground predator can go through it easily. Our acre is fenced in with a dog running around. That keeps ground varments away, especially the 2 legged kind.

If I need more protection I would use Welded Wire and/or hardware cloth. I would also have 6" skirt of the wire on the ground around the pen to keep out diggers.

Matt

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by