pvc tractor fittings availability and cheapest price

dustyw

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
I am going to build a pvc tractor for my meaties and want to buy the 3 4 and 5 way fittings local or somewhat close, don't want to order over the internet. Did any body find them at a big box store or chain store? All the fittings on the internet say furniture grade, is there a cheaper grade suitable for a tractor? Weres the cheapest place to get them? Has anybody built a pvc tractor without the 3 4 or 5 way fittings?

Lowes, Home Depot or similar are going to be your cheapest place normally.
What you are looking for is schedule 40 PVC.... this is standard stuff for water piping
A little creative use of elbows and T's and you can build anything

Martin

You can build very functional tractors with just sections made of two long pieces and two shorter uprites joined with 90 degree Ls at the corners and covered with wire , Ts can be put in for uprites between the ends . All of these gates can be wired or polytied together to form a roof and sides . You will have to put something under the tarp roof to create a peak so there's enough pitch to move rain over the sides ; nylon tarps will leak if rain pools in a sag . I set empty plastic jugs [ caps left on ] on the center of the wire on the top gate . You can buy it all at any chain like Menards , Lowes , etc. .
ETA : I misread and thought you wanted to avoid buying the specialty fittings . The specialty pieces may not be available at discount stores . If you have a plumbing contractor's supply store in your area try them ; but chances are they will have to order them .

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies but I just found on the internet all the 3, 4, and 5 way fittings for $52.00 shipped. I hope thats not too much, but thats as cheap as I could find. I will post a pic of it when I get it completed. Does anybody have any thoughts on putting some valves on it and filling it with water and incorporating water nipple drinkers to help supplement the water, maybe not the primary, but it could help. Would't be a big deal to fill it because it would be by a hose all the time anyways. Will the cornish x drink ok from those nipple waterers?

I built a 6'x12' pen last weekend from 1" pvc and chicken wire. I only used 90's and tee's, the special fittings were too expensive and not locally available. For the corners, I used a tee next to a 90, I could have used a street 90 to get it closer. Next time, I'll use the four way corner fittings on the four bottom corners, just to make the front and back more predator proof.

Back
Top Bottom