Pvc type waterer and freezing

reeseyschix

Hatching
Apr 8, 2015
CT
I'm just starting to build an auto pvc waterer but I'm concerned about freezing. Will the gravity flow through the pipes prevent freezing ? Doubt it. What can I do? Any ideas ?

I'm a complete noob at this and live in the deep south, so take this with a grain of salt, but solutions I've seen use aquarium water heaters, electric pipe wraps, etc. I saw one DIY system that circulated water with a small bore tube inside the PVC pipe where the nipples were, with a pond pump and the afore mentioned submersible aquarium heater in the main storage bucket. I would think that would be the way to go in extreme cold, I think the pipe wraps would not be as effective, but that is just a guess on my part.

I have heard of people adding a bit of glycerine to rhe the water which lowers its freezing point. You mighy want to try it out after some research. Also, insulating the whole system is a must. If you want the heater to work it must be placed at the lowest point in the network else points lower than the heater will freeze

Back
Top Bottom