Pvc water supply in cold climates ?

Horizontal nipples are made for the shape of the beak. The bottom of the nipple conforms with the shape of the bottom beak. When the chicken pushes on the nipple a little bit of water is deposited in the bottom beak. If you put the nipples down at nearly floor level the shape of the nipple and the shape of the beak won't match up. It's not like getting a drink of water from a pool of water where they put their beak in and are able to scoop the water up. There is no scooping up with a horizontal nipple. Horizontal nipples should be up about head high.

A horizontal nipple works in freezing weather because the seal is internal to the heated water. Vertical nipples seals are outside the heated space.
A drinker cup would work if you had birds drinking water 24 hours a day. Otherwise the water in the cup will quickly freeze, then freeze the valve and it will break.

I have about 18-19” from floor to underside of poop board (area I plan on putting food & water supply)
The heated bucket shows that it’s 9”tall but says 14” tall total...assuming that’s with the lid/handle attached..even if I cut off the handle I’m still going to be around 12” ..the nipple is about 2”from the bottom of bucket ..
So I’d only have about 8” from floor to nipple..would that be ok or would that be having them reaching too low to get water ?

F97EABDC-17C4-4C4C-B661-5ECCF8691533.jpeg

Quick (really bad) sketch of what was in my head...black thing represents the pvc food dispenser in corner
Blue & red is waterer ..

I have about 18-19” from floor to underside of poop board (area I plan on putting food & water supply)
The heated bucket shows that it’s 9”tall but says 14” tall total...assuming that’s with the lid/handle attached..even if I cut off the handle I’m still going to be around 12” ..the nipple is about 2”from the bottom of bucket ..
So I’d only have about 8” from floor to nipple..would that be ok or would that be having them reaching too low to get water ?

That depends on how tall your birds are. Plus, if it is too low they may scratch debris onto the nipple.

I've tried to pack things in tight like that and if there isn't sufficient overhang from perhaps your poop board, they may still poop on/in the feed and water.

Back
Top Bottom