Pygmy goat questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 26, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    What would be the best fencing for pygmy goats? so that dogs can't get it, and they can't get out. what kind of wire and posts should be used, and how tall should it be?
    Also, how large should their fenced in area be at the least?
    How large should their shelter be? what kind of bedding should be used and how often would it have to be changed?
    What temps can they withstand? should they be locked up in their shelter on cold days?
    Thanks. sorry for all the questions

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    we have regular chain link zip tied to t posts! they have a shelter inside of a utility room which is about 6 feet long, 4 feet wide..mine like the cold but they absolutely hate rain with a passion!
    we built the floor of their pen with pallets and we just throw straw down for them and it works great.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    that sounds a lot easier than what i was thinking. i was planning a 10 x 10 shelter for TWO little goats. i wanted them to have enough room in the winter. and i was thinking they'd need some elaborate fencing that would cost a ton and take a longgg time.

4. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I have not yet found a fence that will keep my goats in. I gave up and I just let them out every morning now. I instructed the UPS and Fedex people to put my packages where the goats can't reach them; and I no longer care about having a flower garden.

5. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

whatever you do dont use the woven wire for cattle..they'll put their heads through and stretch it where they can squeeze threw, also they'll get their horns stuck in it. We always had to keep a strand of electric fence, and that too sometimes didnt keep them in. Needless to say we don't have pigmys anymore, couldn't keep them in they would find some kind of escape hole. LOL

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  6. Schrady

Schrady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    What's the big deal about keeping them fenced in? Am I missing something? The local farm and garden store sells goat fencing. It should be attached to T-posts.

Am I just lucky or do I just have really really good pygmies? Never had an escapee unless I left the gate open.

Pygmy goats are so lovable and ridiculously funny. I love them.

7. Picklestix7866

Picklestix7866 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Thawing Minnesota
    I've never had a problem keeping our goats in. We have chain link fence with metal poles on the top and bottom so they don't bend over when they jump up or lean on it. We also just have a little shelter, about 3x3 feet houses put together. That way each goat can go in their own 3x3 shelter without having to fight or anything. I don't really know how to explain it. We didn't want it huge because we wanted them to be able to keep their body heat in.

I read a post talking about the UPS guy. I just wanted to share: One day the UPS guy came to our house when our goat was out roaming the yard. I was on my horse just getting back from a trail ride and the UPS guy was cowering in his truck because he was afraid of our big scary goat. Lol. He wouldn't even get out to go to the door. I had to get off my horse and go to him and then he finally got out, and then he had to ask me if the goat was going to hurt him. [​IMG]

Sorry, that was off topic, but I had to share. Lol.

8. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    what i learned was that as long as they have stuff to play on and tear up, they couldnt care less about leaving the yard..my fence is really haphazard.. its literally zip tied together but it works! the time they did get out was from the neighbors leaving the gate open. [​IMG]

9. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I love the story of the fearful UPS guy who had to be rescued from a pygmy!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  10. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    Most of my pygmies are content to stay in the fence. I do have a couple of trouble makers that seem like they can get out of anything. My husband built some "playground equipment" for them and that helped. He used screws to put it all together so that I can take it apart and change it around. It keeps them busy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by