Pygmy Goat Sleeping Platform

lilcheeks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
Byron Center, MI
I will be getting qty 2 pygmy goat kids in 10 weeks and am working on finishing up their living space. I read that goats like to sleep off the ground, but can't find much details on height and size of said space. Can anyone give some input on how large of a platform/shelf is needed for the two goats? Also how high should it be off the ground?

Thanks!

Unless you just want to make them a platform, you really don't need to. Goats are just as happy sleeping on a nice bed of straw or shavings. Goats love to climb, but an off the ground perch certainly is not a deal breaker. If I took a guess, I would say way more goats sleep on the ground that off it, lol. But... to answer your question... height? Anything would work really. Just don't make it so high they can jump out of their pen! Size? A very spacious platform for 2 pygmies would be like 6x6 or so. Again, though, it's really not necessary. :)

Our goats used to sleep in their shed, but they did enjoy being high up. I don't think a platform could hurt! Some farms by my house have awesome platforms that have several levels. They put them in the center of the goat pens so the goats can't get out. I see the goats up at the very top all the time. You certainly don't have to go to that extent, but goats sure do love to climb! We also had some downed tree trunks in the pen that they loved to climb on. Easy cheap idea for goats!

I want to build a sleeping platform too. I have seen some cool ones on Pinterest and on googling goat pens. I am thinking a an area about 3 feet off the ground in the corner of our barn. With small ramp for our dwarf goat. We built some platforms in their outdoor run and they sunbathe there, but are in the barn at night.

Back
Top Bottom