Pygmy Goat????????

cheapcheap_jeepjeep

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Villa Grove
Ok I have been around them love them. Now my 10 yr daughter and 9 yr son want to show them. Can any of you tell me a bit more about them. Like what feed besides grass, hay, sweet feed ....ect. I know that we need two and the kids want both does.

Thanks again...

You probably want to avoid sweetfeed with pygmies. They are easy keepers and a pelleted goat feed, during the winter when they can't graze, should be enough for them. Along with hay and fresh water.
Our area is selenium defeceint, so we need to provide all our our grazing animals with that. You will need to find out what minerals they would need for your area.
If they are going to be pets, you will want to make sure they are people friendly. When you go to look at some for sale see if they approach you and if you can pet them.
Good Luck!

I have had my two for about 6 weeks. Took maybe 2 weeks for 1 to warm up, the other about 1 week. They eat hay and goat food from TSC. On weekends i let them roam around the yard(I am very much in the country). They just walk around the barn and house eating stuff... they do eat weeds... They have eaten their pasture down(small area) very well. They like to climb but so far have kept them in with 36 inch welded wire fence....

That's all I know right now... Mine are 4 1/2 months and 3 1/2 months old...

Thanks the only feed our feed store has for goats is sweet feed unless i have not found the right one and being that my kids want to show them they HAVE to friendly.

Is it ok for me to use as vacumns for the mix of feed the chickens spill?

Last edited:
Lots of attention from day one is how to get friendly goats. Take them for walks, brush them ect.

As for food I fed mine Mana pro goat food. Think it was like 10% sweet feed or something like that. They never cared for the ranch mix that so many other peeps said they feed them.

We also used coastal hay. It has extra protien over the T/A

Good luck, and dont forget you will need to build fort knox around your house for them
big_smile.png

As long as the chicken feed isnt medicated, its ok. They love it, so make sure the rest of it is tightly contained!

Chicken feed and goats dont mix as they will founder and die from it. I raise Nigerian Dwarfs and they get oats, a little corn and a textured goats chow, and alfafa pellets all mixed together. They get hay also. Yep 2 is better and they ahve company. I dont let mine anywhere near the chicken feed. Also dont give alot of corn as its like candy to children and not good for them in large quantitys. Dont buy a baby you cant pet as usually they wills tay wild and mine are all easy to pet. I do have some that you cant cath and I sell or give them away as not pet quality, but my neighbor got his tame down and they were rather skittish. It can happen with lots of time and a goat in with them that is tame. Good luck with your choice.

We have two pygmy goats, and LOVE them, but I just would like to give you some advice, in hopes to help you avoid the heartache we are experiencing now. If you decide to get a couple of goats (they usually do not do well alone, they should have another goat buddy), make sure to ask if the place that they are coming from has theirs tested for CAE, caprine arthritis encephalitis. If not (or even if they do, as a precaution), have them tested before you get them....

There is no cure, and the arthritic form shows up as an adult, my goat who just came back positive is only 3 years old. I didn't know to test, I was like you, just wanted a couple goat pets....saw some cute ones and brought them home. It's heartbreaking! They acquire it from their mother's milk, but my vet said symptoms don't usually show up till 2-4 years of age. Once they do, there is no cure, and it will only get worse with age. Chronic pneumonia is also common with this.

My goat was fine two weeks ago. Now, she cannot walk without pain. We are talking about letting her go, but for now, we are trying to manage her pain with medication to see if it will help her. I didn't know about this when I got them.....

Goats make excellent pets...they are just wonderful beings! So fun to have around, I highly reccommend them!! But just wanted to give you a word of advice in making sure you pick one to fall in love with that you can have a lifetime of fun and love with.....by making sure you get a healthy goat. It's a simple bloodtest that can help give you a lot more love and life with your goats. I'm afraid I'll soon be saying goodbye to my girl.... thankfully my other one has shown no symptoms....but will definitely have her tested before I bring any more goats onto the property after Molly's gone.

Good luck to you!
Angie

Yep its best to have them checked before you get them or some even check for CAE after so you can tell or know ahead of time so you can treat them. Yep there isnt a cure but with the proper treatments they can live long lives and Grullablue is really going thru heartache as her is having a really hard time. Angie I hope she responds to treatment if that is what you decide to do. My heart goes out to you...

i think pygmy goats are about the easiest to take care of, the ony other thing(s) i would give them are a salt cube and grain and they should be good to go!

Back
Top Bottom