Python sneaking into duck cage. Will it kill my ducks?

Reuboid

Chirping
Nov 10, 2021
So, it’s 1 am here in Australia. And I am awoken to one of my Australian call ducks being really loud. I got outside to check on them and see nothing, I go back inside and the quacking stops. Until 5 minutes later when the quacking begins. I walk outside to see a python sneaking in through the gates of their coop. I have two Rouen Clair ducks and one Australian Call. The python was not too big. Would it kill my ducks? I have just let them out of their coop for tonight so they can go to their pond.

It really depends on the species of snake, it's diet, and how big is "not too big". If you're sure it's a python, I would guess it's either a Children's python (which stay much to small to eat your birds).
1645733518100.png

Or a Carpet python (as adults they eat birds, and a female could eat a Call).
1645733482402.png

If you're able to get a picture I could ID it for you.
Whatever it is though, it's likely just looking for mice to eat, and is probably nocturnal. Neither of these species are venomous, and are great to have around for pest control. They're actually commonly kept as pets here in the U.S.

A snake big enough to eat any of your birds should not be able to get to them with proper predator proofing. Be sure to use hardware cloth to keep predators out, and secure your coop at night.

It will crush your bird and try to eat it. I had a 4' black snake get in my coop and killed my bantam hen and tried to eat her all he got in was her head and neck he couldn't eat her but he sure tried.

So, it’s 1 am here in Australia. And I am awoken to one of my Australian call ducks being really loud. I got outside to check on them and see nothing, I go back inside and the quacking stops. Until 5 minutes later when the quacking begins. I walk outside to see a python sneaking in through the gates of their coop. I have two Rouen Clair ducks and one Australian Call. The python was not too big. Would it kill my ducks? I have just let them out of their coop for tonight so they can go to their pond.
So I just sorted out the protection and there is literally no way for the snake to get in. Every possible entrance is sealed. The ducks are still being loud though is that maybe just because they can see the snake outside their coop?

Probably so and it’s stressing them out. I don’t see how there is much you can do other than cart the snake off but if your area is like mine we have plenty of snakes to take that one’s place. Hopefully your ducks will soon realize the snake can’t get to them. I have to keep my biggest coop door closed in warm months during the day to keep the snakes out. I found out the hard way that the snake was hiding out in the storage space in the coop and that’s how it got my bantam hen at night.

Back
Top Bottom