Q. about runs - options to keep critters out

AriLovesChickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2011
N Seattle, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Assuming you don't free range most of the time and want to let your birds be outside...
And assuming that digging predators (possum) are a possibility...

What do most people do with their runs?

There's someone here selling runs with the entire bottom covered in hardware cloth. I figure if I went with that option, I'd have to put dirt on the floor - wouldn't be too fun or comfortable for them otherwise.

How much hassle is it to dig a trench/ put an apron of cloth around it instead? Or does anyone have any other suggestions what to put around the run to keep critters out?

I made my enclosure with welded wire on the bottom and dug down 4 in 8x8 put it in and shoveled the dirt over the welded wire so nothing can dig in it was hard work but I have not had anything get into my run. It is totally enclosed top to floor with hardware cloth.

Depends how big your run is as to how much work it would be. Ours is 12 X 20 ft. - my husband used the pick axe to trench it, and I followed with a shovel to clean the loose dirt (actually CLAY) out. Then we attached the welded wire AND hardware cloth so it went to the bottom of the trench and backfilled with the clay. We did not put wire over the "floor" of the run - we put sand. Much easier to clean!
wee.gif

Hi, You really don't have to did down...you can just attach a wire "apron" to the bottom of your run coming out about 24"...90 degrees from your run. Another words, just lay the wire on the ground around the perimeter of your run, cover it with alittle dirt or sand..or just let grass grow up through it. That will be enough of a detarrent for any digger. Lot's of folks on BYC do it like this. good luck.
Erik

Our run is fully enclosed with chainlink (including the top) and then chicken wire on the inside of the chainlink.

We then either put a hardware cloth apron around what we would consider digable and in various sections we have 18-24"s of rocks (big heavy rocks) that you couldn't lift with two strong guys - so a Possum, raccon or bear couldn't move them.

Quote:
x2 digging here was not an option too many tree roots rock etc. grass grows thru thr hardware cloth pretty fast.

Maybe I could put those on the apron?

All that will do is provide a nice dry place for rodents to burrow.

Just cover the wire with a thin layer of dirt and let grass grow up through it and the roots will anchor it in place and hide it as well​

Our runs are covered in hardware cloth with a 18 inch apron on all sides. We also have electric twine along the bottom about 6 inches from the ground. Standing on the metal apron and touching the electric fence would be a strong incentive to leave:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom