Q: Can eggs vary in size & colour from the same HEN?! NEED ANSWERES!!!

eeiko321

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
hi guys

ive got a quick question..
ive 2 hens, one is 6months old and the other has an unknown age but i assume 1 year - 2 year +.

there is only one spot to lay, its in a warm corner with straw/hay & the older then is the dominant one and roosts there. & the younger one sleeps on a log above the ground.

im not home most of the time and i saw HEAPS of eggs in that corner.
the eggs are slightly different in colour... the older hen ive seen lay a light coloured egg that is quite large.

but in the bundle of eggs...there are some that are slightly smaller with a slightly darker orange colour.

my question : Can eggs vary in shell contrast & size from the same chicken???

i dont have faith in the young 6 month old one (which is full grown in size) to lay eggs yet.

but EITHER, the older hen went on a LAYING SPREE as it is coming to spring now.
OR
The younger one is laying some eggs in the old hens roost and letting her deal with it.

so yeah....

let me know guys
thanks

6 months old..she I'm sure is laying
smile.png

She probably goes to the nest when the older hen gets up, and yes the young one can lay varying colors and sizes.

She will eventually as she gets older lay eggs more uniform in size and color.

Sounds all good to me
smile.png

Yes eggs can vary in size, shape, and color, all from the same hen.

The level of calcium in her system, diet, conditions, stress, and over all health can contribute to changes in egg shell color, thickness, and shape.

Granted your not going to have a hen that lays brown eggs all of a sudden lay green eggs, but they can be laid in varying shades of brown/beige.

Quote:
oh ic.
so it may not be the younger one laying.
hmmm
ive heard 6 months old is ready to lay as they are fully grown/developed.
because the young one likes to sleep on a log thats on a platform off the ground about 4 feet high.
it looks uncomfortable, but if it keeps going there...i guess it must like it.

but what happens when it has the urge to lay?
ive heard they can lay thier eggs in other hen's nest...

Quote:
Chickens are not fully grown at 6 months old. The reproductive system is maturing and at this point you begin to see eggs. However, you will notice it is not until a hen reaches nearly a year old that eggs are a standard size and more consistant.

Larger heavier breed chickens, like orpingtons, jersey giants, brahmas, etc, will not be fully mature and at their full size until 12 - 18 months.

I have 15 hens that lay all lay in only 5-6 nest boxes. The ones that use the nest boxes up on the deck are pretty consistent, but one day I will find all the eggs in one nest, the next day the other and another day divided between the two. The hens that lay in the coop boxes are also consistent in using those boxes, but again which box is used each time varies. I guess they like variety. But yes, they share the nest boxes and can cause one heck of a ruckus if they are itching to lay and the chosen next box is currently occupied! There have been times I've seen one hen sitting on top of another because she's impatient.

As for the egg shape, size and color... the eggs of young hens can vary in all of these attributes, as they get older they will become more consistent. However, don't be surprised to still see variation. A few weeks ago one of my hens laid an egg the size of a grape; haven't seen a repeat performance.

they will share nests. I would think at 6 months she should be laying. What breed are they? Some breeds lay earlier than others.

Back
Top Bottom