Q on setting up for chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovethepeep, Aug 7, 2008.

1. lovethepeep

lovethepeep Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    I'm sure this Q has been asked before, but I can't read through 277 topics! so here goes...
    What would you suggest as the ideal set-up to welcome chicks? as far as type of container...what to put under them... etc.

also, I have read that flocks do better together when raised together. So, within what time frame would you consider buying chicks, with the intent of them being "raised together"...( not really sure how to phrase that... maybe you veteran's can interpret [​IMG]...) should I try to get all chicks on the very same day? within two weeks or so of each other? what would be too far a span??

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Getting the chicks all the same age is the ideal thing - or day olds a week or so apart. If they are close in age, and the earlier you introduce them the better as far as chicks go.

As far as older birds, they all need to be around the same size so the younger ones can integrate and hold their own against any pecking order squabbles with the older ones.

A plastic storage bin (the large size/sterlite/rubbermaid at walmart for about $10-15) makes a great brooder for the young chicks.

For day olds, line the bottom with paper towels for the first few days while they get their footing to help avoid leg problems. Then you can switch over to a couple inches of pine shavings.

Clean water and chick starter/crumbles for nutrition, and a HEAT source is a must. The brooder should be 90-95 degrees for the 1st week, and reduce temps by 5 degrees each week until the chicks are mostly feathered out around 6 weeks.

Click the 'Leanring Center' link at the very very tippy top of this page to find out more about raising chicks! www.mypetchicken.com has a great downloadable booklet on raising chicks also.

And welcome...and have fun!!

3. lovethepeep

lovethepeep Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    I'M FROM CHARLOTTE![​IMG] we are close [​IMG]!!!
    thanks for the info on chicks... we do have an extra rubbermaid, and my husband says we have a heat lamo with a black light... I'll have to check the wattage...and ifgure up a way to check the temp in the rubbermaid. When you say pine shavings... where can I get those? Just a farm supply place?

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    farm supply places or pet stores usually carry pine shavings, but they usually cost less money at a farm supply like IFA. if you have several places in your area, it doesn't hurt to comparison shop. there can be vast differences in places from place to place. just never use cedar shavings instead of pine. The fumes from cedar are very bad for birdies.
    Heather

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by