Quack Sexing Ducklings (posted in the wrong section before)

Lach Cnoc Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Western Washington
I have used this method a lot in the past and it's been dead on. I was just wondering if it's possible to sex a 3 week old ducklings by their quacks? are they old enough yet or not?

I would like to get some ducklings this age from someone but wasnt sure if this method would work at their age.

Theyre crested white ducklings that she bought from the "assorted crested" bin at the local feed store. I am hoping they're crested Pekins, i'd like to get a couple hens for my runner drake
fl.gif
love.gif

ETA: she said they are solid yellow with crests. any ideas?

Last edited:
Well, it isn't a highly scientific method, but if you have the ear for it, and it sounds like you do, then trust yourself. I have found that from an early age the drakes are more social with humans. If you approach the ducklings and some hang back, they are probably female. If some are more curious and assertive, they are probably drakes. I also think you can tell by bill color. The drakes have brighter bills, in my experience.

Good luck!

Some people seem to be able to sex them pretty early by quack. As I have said before and am embarrassed to admit, I cannot. LOL

I have kept ducks for years and I *still* struggle to tell the difference between a female quack and the noise the boys make. I must be tone deaf or something.
smile.png

at about 6 weeks I hold each one up and listen for the tell tale HONK of distress cause I am an abusive owner and all that jazz according to my runners lol the girls are obvious from the boys making a huge honking ruccus, I immediatly put a band on it if its a girl and move to the next.

The ones I question I put a different color band on and try again in a week, they are usually males but i am in denial sometimes lol at 3 weeks I would go with the loudest in the bunch I think that would give you better chances at a girl.

I picked one duckling out of the bin at the feed store about 4 weeks ago. It was making such an awful noise I thought it just had to be a girl. I was right
big_smile.png

There is a difference in their sound, whether they are quacking or not. The males will have a hoarser sounding peep, and the females will just be peeping. If there are several of them, you can also tell somewhat by their legs. A male will have thicker legs than a female, normally. But they should be the same age, breed, etc, for you to go by this. I would say if you pick out some that are more squeeky-toy sounding, and have slimmer legs than the others, you'll probably get yourself some girls
smile.png

Well I am hoping that at least the 2 crested Pekins i came home with today are girls..they were pretty squeaky, especially when i compared it to another one of the babies..much hoarser. I'm really hope they are, i would hate to have to get rid of either of them later, theyre just adorable with the biggest poofs
big_smile.png

altogether I ended up bringing home 2 crested pekins, 7 pekins, 1 blue swedish and 2 black swedish.

I'm not saying theyre all girls but i hope most of them are!
the swedish and 1 pekin are only a week old, the rest of the pekin are about 2 weeks and the crested pekins are about 3-4weeks.

everyone but the 2 crested stayed in the brooders tonight. the older 2 went out with the scovie babies & other ducks, they settled in very well
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom