Quail and eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Terri O, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello--my coturnix quail (2 male 7 female) are about 3-4 months old now; and after laying eggs for most of the summer I am now getting NONE! They are eating and dust bathing and acting normal otherwise. I have put their eggs in my incubator and the last are scheduled to hatch Friday...I have 45 babies so far.
    So are my older birds done already? I keep them outside and they do not have supplemental lighting like my chickens do. Do they need extra lighting to keep laying? SHould I move them inside a building for the winter or into the house? Maybe they molt and take a break? SHould I just butcher them and start again?

Sorry for all the questions but I didnt see them answered anywhere around here...thanks so much! Terri O

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    quails are seasonal layers, all of them...but coturnix work VERY well with artificial light, give them 14 hr a day at least and they will lay all year round..about lol

molt could be an issue too, they will stop during that as well, sounds like a lighting issue tho.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They are not 'done', just done for the season. You can try supplementing lighting but you'll have to do it gradually. Even with lighting the eggs might not be fertile. They need to be warm as well as have 14+ hours of light daily.

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the info...I guess I will be moving them into a place where I can provide light and a bit of warmth...although our Indian Summer is going great here right now! 81* whoo hooo! I have folks who want the eggs to eat so no matter if they are not fertile. Thanks again! Terri O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by