Quail and Mycoplasma

Also, assuming I start over and get MG-free birds, MG isn't going to be living in the soil or carried on the wind, etc? It's not going to be a situation where some chicken flock down yonder spreads MG through the wind and then I'm stuck in the same situation? MG can be spread by wild birds too right?
MG can survive outside of a host for 2 to 4 days.
Yes, wild birds can have MG and spread it.

Oof. Then it's likely my finches and doves are at risk too. I've convinced my parents to sell them with full disclosure to someone who wants a little closed flock of pet silkies. I'm sure there is someone out there. This whole experience with chickens has been rather discouraging. I guess I've been really lucky with my quail.

So hear me out, if certain diseases are prevalent in an area and spread by wildlife why don't we have local chicken breeders breeding for resistance and selling to local backyard flocks? That way you have hardy backyard chickens that can be free-ranged or outdoors without fear of the local wildlife and diseases. I just think that having a population of animals that can be done in (whether by the disease or the human having to cull them) by a songbird dropping a seed in the pen is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I live in similar climate as yours. we have MG and coryza everywhere. even if I cull all of my birds MG and coryza will still be there with doves and sparrows. so breeding to resistance is the only possibility. culling weak chicks and keeping hardy ones only.

quails might be easier to keep safe as it is easier to keep wild birds away from them. if there is some fisical obstacle between your silkies and quails (like wall) they will be safer (not 100% safe but very likely there will be no issues).

I live in similar climate as yours. we have MG and coryza everywhere. even if I cull all of my birds MG and coryza will still be there with doves and sparrows. so breeding to resistance is the only possibility. culling weak chicks and keeping hardy ones only.

quails might be easier to keep safe as it is easier to keep wild birds away from them. if there is some fisical obstacle between your silkies and quails (like wall) they will be safer (not 100% safe but very likely there will be no issues).
There is no physical barrier. I am going to sell the silkies off and start over with a clean flock. If that flock gets it and I've done everything right, then I'm just going to assume that it's in the area and there is nothing I can really do about it.

I brought in a beautiful rooster three months ago and then about a month after his introduction I see fowl pox and MG. I wonder if MG was introduced with him into my flock but it seems unlikely since MG has an incubation period of less than a month.

Back
Top Bottom