Quail and ... Peafowl and Pheasants?

happyhensny

Brown Barns Farm
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
near Albany, New York
I have a coop (7 x 7) and run (14 x 27) that we have a pair of IB Peas, pair of RG Pheasants and a Tragopan. The fencing is chain link dog kennel panels and the top is fully enclosed with 2 x 4 welded wire.

Question: DD loves the A & M's, we had some in a rabbit cage with 1 x 1/2" wire and coons came and pulled them through.
hit.gif
Our current Pea/Phez area has a metal skirting 3 ft high around the entire perimeter-no grabbing our birds again. The A & M's are larger, would they be ok with that size fencing (2 x 2 spacing on the walls above the metal perimeter)

How far from the top of the pen are your perches?They should be at least 2 1/2 feet down to be sure nothing reaches in and grabs them.I don't like the 2x4 wire,it is just to big.Plus if a piece breaks,now you have a 4x4 which a bird will find in a heartbeat and be gone.
I am a strong believer in hardware cloth,1/2x1/2 seems to keep everything out and bird secure inside.
In N.H.,Tony.

Quote:
The height of the pen is 6+ft. I can put the roosts wherever needed. The size of the pen, 14 feet x 27 feet = 327 sq feet, plus the entire roof area is going to be hard (big $$) to cover in hardware cloth. I am hoping that with the metal skirting nothing can grab them as they do usually stay on the ground. Are there bigger Quail out there? I thought the body size of the A & M's are about the same size of a female Red Golden Pheasant. Do you happen to know if they will fight? I will not tell DD she can have them unless all will be well. Thank you so much for your time!

A&M's are no where near the size of a red golden hen.They are a little smaller then a bobwhite quail.All birds you mentioned will get along in that size pen,but give multiple roosting areas so each can have their own perch.I would also have a wire apron around the perimeter of the pen so predators can't dig under.It should be attached to the bottom of the pen and go out about 2'.Some people like to angle down threw the ground,but lay it on top also works fine.I lay my wire on top and stake it down with tent stakes so the grass can grow up threw and it looks just like there is no wire there.I've attached a pic of my pens so you can see what I mean about the apron.
In N.H.,Tony.
Quote:
The height of the pen is 6+ft. I can put the roosts wherever needed. The size of the pen, 14 feet x 27 feet = 327 sq feet, plus the entire roof area is going to be hard (big $$) to cover in hardware cloth. I am hoping that with the metal skirting nothing can grab them as they do usually stay on the ground. Are there bigger Quail out there? I thought the body size of the A & M's are about the same size of a female Red Golden Pheasant. Do you happen to know if they will fight? I will not tell DD she can have them unless all will be well. Thank you so much for your time!

Tony - your pens are great! We have loads of rocks around here-big ones-I have them around the perimeter of the fence probably a foot deep and a foot wide on the exterior of the fencing. Bobs are bigger. Hmmmm..... we are girls and we like pretty birds. Do Bobs come in other colors? The normal colored are nice but the A & M's have polka-dots!
tongue.png
We loved the boys crowing and their "video game" noises. They were nice birds, even allowing her to hold them. So, in all, you think they would be ok in our set-up? I could get some chicken wire to cover the inside of the pens piece by piece if necessary. Do you have A & M's?

ETA: picture I took yesterday of the inside of the pen. I picked up 2 x-mas trees on the side of the road (we use fake) stood them up and put some pine boughs around for the Pheasants to hide in.

16143_img_20120103_092403.jpg

Last edited:
I'm afraid yes,there are many mutations of bobwhites now.I like the snowflake bobwhites.The wire on the top of your pen is too big for quail.If they do get spooked and fly up,they can grab ahold on the wire and pull themselves threw.
Your pen looks great.You could add a pile of brush so they can hide in it when they feel threatened.Plus this would give them something to get on top of and look around.Hollowed out logs are a plus to them also,another place to hide and another lookout spot.
I no longer raise any quail.I did have bobwhites,mountain,valley,gambels,harlequins and buttons,but decided to stick with ornamental pheasants.I also have cockatiels and diamond doves which live with the pheasants year round.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom