Quail as pets?

rebecca10782

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Will quail fly away if they get lose or are they like chickens?
Are they friendly and easily held?
Can they be house with chickens?

I just got 6 coturnix quail which are pets. They do not like to be handled and are much more skittish than chickens. They will fly or run away if not fenced in. Mine are still living inside until we build them a nice insulated home with a hardware cloth enclosed run to keep them safe. They won't be in with our chickens who free range in our fenced in yard. I don't know much more than that but quite a few people on here are raising them and can tell you more!
Quote:

My coturnix quail are actually very calm.

I would say they would run/fly away if given the chance and I wouldnt put them in with the chickens.

Best Of Luck
smile.png

I guess I was confusing now that I think about it. It's not that my quail aren't calm. They are for the most part but my chickens are calmer. The quail don't like to be held at all.
Quote:

I'd love to let my quails free range (coturnix) but i don't trust it. When some fall out of the cage (they do it on purpose lol) when i open it up...they act paranoid and dash off...theni have to stop what im doing keep an eye on them and sneak after them (luckily their wings are clipped so they can't fly away). I know of a lady who just the other day had her coturnix fly away....for good. Just too scary for me to lose my bee bees!
smile.png
Coturnix quails by the way, in their natural habitat, are migratory birds.

I will be making them a tractor in the spring.

Even though we say our coturnix are friendly and sweet, they dont enjoy being handled, mine cry like im killing them when i hold them. However they'lll happily stand in my hand to eat food and even let me pet them while they eat. And they cry if they see me coming with food (19 coturnix quails yelking "crying") is really cute to hear...they sound so despirate like their starving...yeah...sure....
wink.png

Picture below is of a whining coturnix (talk about a pitiful face) lol:

IMG_3556.jpg

Back
Top Bottom