Quail Aviary-males together

Jennyfromtheblok

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
My quail are almost a year old and I’d really like to move them to an aviary this spring. Right now I have about 28 females and 7 males. The males are all in a hatching time cage each in their own section with the exception of 2 that I have allowed to be in with some of my females. The females are in groups in 3 tier wynola ranch cages. Would the males be able to live with the females in the aviary in harmony since they will have much more space or should I keep the males in their bachelor pad (hatching time cage)? 2 of the males were aggressively breeding drawing blood which is why I started the bachelor bad in the first place. I’ll attach a pic of the aviary I’m considering. It think it’s 6.5ft tall, 7.5 ft wide and 13 ft long.

Attachments

• 6290B3A6-D714-40CB-81D6-9BBE84FD4B4F.jpeg
    6290B3A6-D714-40CB-81D6-9BBE84FD4B4F.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 74
That will not be large enough to keep 7 males from fighting, in my opinion. You could probably keep three, maybe four in there, depending on their personalities. The more hiding places there are, the better chance of harmony.
That’s what I was figuring. I guess I will just keep my bachelor pad and put the rest in the aviary which would only be 2 males with the females.

Depends on the birds... in my experience, the aggressive males will try to mount the other more submissive males which can lower fertility

Back
Top Bottom