Quail chick is lame but has no other outward signs of illness

20200619_210216.jpg

I couldn't get him to flip both feet up and take a pic at the same time, so he can do that...but I got a shot of the hip too in case.

At this point I would keep an eye on him and see how he gets along. If he's eating and drinking okay, he might get better or he might have that limp for the rest of his life. It sounds like he's a pet, so you might consider taking him to a vet.

Thanks. He's kind of in-between...we are going to have to cull some of this set of chicks when they get to maturity, but all of us have a habit of rooting for the underdog...

At this point I would keep an eye on him and see how he gets along. If he's eating and drinking okay, he might get better or he might have that limp for the rest of his life. It sounds like he's a pet, so you might consider taking him to a vet.

I agree to @Nabiki , he might never will be the best Roadrunner.
But as he is eating and drinking all should be fine.

The chick of mine, I wrote before walked similar, kinda wobbling and was most time sitting.

The poppy seed prevents diarrhae as the fat in the egg yolk can cause it.
Also the black dots of poppy seeds may attracks them to pick the mash 😉

It seemed like when he stands he puts most weight on the good leg, and in the first video he was standing with the foot and leg up to the knee on the ground and lifted the toes, indicating he would rather lean on the knee than the foot. I also noticed he’s missing the tip of a toe, perhaps whatever caused that also caused some kind of other injury (Probably before you received him) in the joint and it will take a while to heal. He looks otherwise healthy and very friendly and tolerant of you touching and examining him, he will make a lovely pet.

It seemed like when he stands he puts most weight on the good leg, and in the first video he was standing with the foot and leg up to the knee on the ground and lifted the toes, indicating he would rather lean on the knee than the foot. I also noticed he’s missing the tip of a toe, perhaps whatever caused that also caused some kind of other injury (Probably before you received him) in the joint and it will take a while to heal. He looks otherwise healthy and very friendly and tolerant of you touching and examining him, he will make a lovely pet.

Good catch - I didn't even see that! Yes, we were just reaching for babies in a giant aquarium full of them, so it's likely he came that way. Glad to know at least some of it might heal! I just assumed he was smaller because he was a different hatch, but it's probable he is just a runt.

I have been seeing him lean on the knee, too; he kind of kneels. I hope that's the toe and will heal.

And I hope he's a she, though it's not looking likely...

We hand-reared the babies to like being touched, because as I said, they are sort of hybrid pet/livestock. I hope I haven't messed up my ability to get meat! (Although not all of them are as cuddly and sweet as Ba-doop! Most are just birbs.)

I am afraid it is a he, as he already shows a rusty chest (can be the light in the video, not 100% sure)

The spots will vanish the more a male matures. But females never have a rusty/orange chest on color type Pharaoh/Wildtype.

Back
Top Bottom