Quail chick size relates to gender?

BirdsRDinosToo

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
I have a couple of quail chicks that are around the same age as each other but some are noticeably smaller is this the early stages of telling boys and girls apart? Since adult male quail are smaller than female

Sometimes it is an indicator, and sometimes my smallest runt will end up being a hen. When the chicks are 2+ weeks old, I’ll often start seeing differences in size and shape. More often than size, shape is an indicator. It’s a subtle difference, but males are more torpedo shaped, and hens are wider, especially in the breast. Still it’s not definite, because chicks go thru awkward growing stages. most recently, my only black chick from the k dale eggs ended up being a hen, even though she was the smallest in her hatch. I have one of her chicks now in the brooder, at 2 weeks it’s looking male so far and I have my fingers crossed for it to be male, but it could be a tiny hen like the mom.

I weighed my last hatch at 10 days old, when I couldn't tell gender. Of the three largest - two were female one was male, and the larger half were more female than male. But that doesn't really help separate them out.

Sometimes it is an indicator, and sometimes my smallest runt will end up being a hen. When the chicks are 2+ weeks old, I’ll often start seeing differences in size and shape. More often than size, shape is an indicator. It’s a subtle difference, but males are more torpedo shaped, and hens are wider, especially in the breast. Still it’s not definite, because chicks go thru awkward growing stages. most recently, my only black chick from the k dale eggs ended up being a hen, even though she was the smallest in her hatch. I have one of her chicks now in the brooder, at 2 weeks it’s looking male so far and I have my fingers crossed for it to be male, but it could be a tiny hen like the mom.
Yep last year the quails attacked each other just as I got home from school and 1 died of its wounds, that was around 5 or six weeks just don’t want that to happen again

Back
Top Bottom