quail chick with curled toes.

From what I've read it usually treated by giving the chick vitamins. If the wry neck was caused by being stuck in the shell too long, would this even help?

No I think the correct term might be deformed neck in the case of neck damage from hatch. No matter how many vitamins or massages I give my Little crooked neck it will never straighten. :(

This chick just hatched, it’s toes will straighten on their own.

View attachment 2303369View attachment 2303370
Same chick:
565BE4C3-DF19-4360-8F6C-87DC4B247F5D.jpeg

Is there any way to help it? Can its crooked neck be reversed like toes? It can stand, walk around, and even eat some.
There isn't a way that I know of. Some crooked neck birds survive, some don't. I had one survive until I culled it at 8 weeks, another one seemed to be doing okay until it just started to fail at about 4 weeks.

Yay! No more crooked toes. The crooked neck has not gone away though. I think I'm going to keep it. It walks, eats, and drinks albeit not as well as the others. I'll probably cull it at maturity because I find the idea of killing a chick very difficult . . .

I actually have 3 more eggs in the incubator from the same batch, it is now day 20. When should I expect them to hatch? I candled when I took the chicks out and all three look like they have chicks inside.

Yay! No more crooked toes. The crooked neck has not gone away though. I think I'm going to keep it. It walks, eats, and drinks albeit not as well as the others. I'll probably cull it at maturity because I find the idea of killing a chick very difficult . . .

I actually have 3 more eggs in the incubator from the same batch, it is now day 20. When should I expect them to hatch? I candled when I took the chicks out and all three look like they have chicks inside.
Day 20 is really getting late. If you hold the eggs next to your ear and tap, do you hear anything in reply?

How long can they take to hatch? I'm not putting any eggs in the incubator anytime soon so I'll just let it run.

Back
Top Bottom