quail chick with curled toes.

72% is too high? I had 14 other chicks hatch out perfectly fine. I think the problem might've been that they were the last to hatch. I saw both of the curled toed chicks start unzipping last night. They finally hatched out this morning after I decided to help them. They had both unzipped but couldn't quite get out. I think they were both malpositioned/ had spent too long trying to get out. They both look fine aside from some curled toes.

For the cup method, I just put them inside a cup and put back in the incubator? For how long? I already took one of them out. The other is still inside the incubator drying off.

I've given the one I took out some electrolyte/vitamin water. I also just took off the "booties" because it seemed like they were causing it to develop splay leg.
72% is waaaay too high. I keep mine at about 30% during incubation and raise it to 50-60% at first pip. My first couple of hatches I had the high humidity and ended up with several curled toe chicks. I've had very few since I started using lower humidity.

Too long in the egg can also cause curled toes and wry neck. As @FloorCandy said, I would wait 24 hours before trying to correct. They might correct on their own.

Dang . . . I kept my humidity at 50-60% even before lockdown. There's so many different numbers for humidity during incubation. Have there been any studies done on this?

The chick that I moved to the brooder actually had wry neck when I first helped it hatch but that went away almost as soon as it got out of the egg.

Oh dear, it looks like the one I left in the incubator has wry neck . . . It doesn't look like it's going away as fast as the others did.

What are it’s symptoms, often they hold themselves in weird positions at first because they need to rest, them figure out how it all works.

This chick just hatched, it’s toes will straighten on their own.

DC6369DB-7CD9-492E-A3EE-3F04369CE827.jpeg
5211C8C2-DB95-40E0-B544-B7FF49FC1A94.jpeg

What are it’s symptoms, often they hold themselves in weird positions at first because they need to rest, them figure out how it all works.
It can't move its head or neck like any of the other chicks. It looks like this pretty much all the time:
IMG_6936[2846].jpg

However, it can move its neck back the other way but it struggles.

Is there any way to help it? Can its crooked neck be reversed like toes? It can stand, walk around, and even eat some.

I have a crooked neck male quail, he is 10 weeks old and is doing fine. However it's usually not the case and they die pretty early on.

Back
Top Bottom