Quail chicks dying a few days after hatching

Dan: Use 10% Blach Water Instead Of Lysol=== Cheaper Kills Everything With A 20 Minute Soak, And No Left Over Fumes Once Air Dried

Old Clunker; I Know You Feed Dumor 24% To All, But Thats Actually A Regular Chick Starter, Not A Gamebird Formula... Chick Starter Can Either 1. Constipate And Kill, Or 2. Cause Diarrhea, Dehydration And Pasty Butt Depending On The Individual Birds... The Mechanics Of It Are Long And Complicated Just Suffice To Say That Its Not The Protien Content But The Actual Ingredients...

Are They Exhibiting Any Specific SignS Before They Die? Do They Arch Their Heads Back And Legs Stiffen? Etc...

EDITED CAUSE I CANT TYPE... SORRY

Last edited:
I went through this with a batch. Started with 50 and ended up with 10. I even sent some off to the state vet t be checked.
After all that....it seems there is a "quail disease" that occurs in the wild. It can be in the eggs.
90% loss is common.
Only good news is that once they get it they will not get it again.
All my hatches after that have been fine and healthy. The adult birds were unaffected.

farrier! :

I went through this with a batch. Started with 50 and ended up with 10. I even sent some off to the state vet t be checked.
After all that....it seems there is a "quail disease" that occurs in the wild. It can be in the eggs.
90% loss is common.
Only good news is that once they get it they will not get it again.
All my hatches after that have been fine and healthy. The adult birds were unaffected.

ENCEPHALITIS? OR 1 OF THE FEW OTHER DISEASES?​

Quote:
They never said.....
sad.png

farrier! :

Quote:
They never said.....
sad.png

DIDNT WE TRY AND COVER THAT WITH A POST YOU HAD UP BACK THEN? THEY WERE POSTURING RIGHT? --- ARCHING THEIR HEADS UP OVER THEIR BACKS AND STRAITENING THEIR LEGS OUT? GO FROM FINE TO FLOUNDERING AROUND IN THE BROODER QUICKLY WITH THE POSTURING THING AS A FINAL "FAREWELL" SIGN??? IF SO THATS CLASSIC FOR QUAIL ENCEPHALITIS AND ITS PASSED FROM HEN TO EGG. THERE ARE A COUPLE OTHERS AS WELL BUT THE ENCEPHALITIS IS A CLASSIC WITH THAT POSTURING--- LIKE SEEING THE SWOLLEN SINUSES WITH CORYZA/ MYCOPLASMA...

SOMETHINGS ARE A DEAD GIVE-AWAY, OTHERS WE'LL NEVER KNOW WITHOUT POST MORTEM TESTING...​

Back
Top Bottom