Quail Chicks Heating

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jabz, Dec 4, 2014.

1. jabz

jabz New Egg

Dec 4, 2014
    Do I need artificial hearing for quail chicks if the day temperatures are 33-36 degrees and night temperatures around 27-29 degrees

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely. There may be times you can turn the light down a bit if it's too hot but there is a temperature they should be at for each week of development. You cannot leave them without a constant heat source until they are able to provide their own heat and have the feathers to hold it in.

These temps are for coturnix quail chicks, please remember to tell us what type of quail each time there are many many species of quail in the world.

The first week they should be at 95* F 35*C the second week 90* F and 32.25*C third week 85* F/29.5* C and the fourth week 80* F and 26.5* C. After the fourth week during a nice day you can turn the light off and not turn it back on assuming all of your birds are fully feathered.

3. jabz

jabz New Egg

Dec 4, 2014
    They are coturnix. Thanks for the info. I am expecting 100 chicks tomorrow from a friend. Can I have some quail coop designs

4. jabz

jabz New Egg

Dec 4, 2014
    Sorry they are Japanese quails

5. dc3085

If you search the site you'll find thousands of cage designs. Just use the search bar at the top of the page. There are far too many for me to embed them here.

6. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
  7. quailmann

quailmann Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    now i see why my quail dont grow too heavy! i only brood for 2 weeks. Im sure it will hamper development?
    what is better a tupperware plastic container or a glass fish tank ? which retains heat better?

8. dc3085

Tupperware works fine. Most heat lamps will over heat it on their own. You'll have to hang a lamp from the ceiling where you can adjust the height or use a dimmer. They are definitely coming out smaller than they should if you're only brooding two weeks.

9. quailmann

quailmann Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    i use a 60 and sometimes 100 watt bulb. Will be hot in there i guess :)
    ill brood some chicks that way, i have 200 now

10. dc3085

Just make sure to control the temp. First week 95* F second week 90* F third week 85* F last week 80*F then turn the light off in the middle of the day. If your temp is too high for the week you are on the chicks will be aggressive and cranky, and will fight often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by