Quail Chicks- Hi! I'm new!

VJCatGirl

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
Tacoma, Washington, USA
I've been on this website for awhile but I just finally made myself an account because I had a question that I hadn't seen anywhere and that is,
On average, how many quail eggs will hatch?
I'm wondering this because I don't have the biggest area but it's not small either so I was hoping for four to six birds but I know people who have bought twelve eggs just to have only one hatch and I really don't want that to happen. Another thing that might affect the fertility of the eggs is the fact I will be buying them from a store in my town that sells quail eggs to eat. It's this same store the person with the single quail to hatch got his eggs. I was going to buy them from this store as an experiment. Should I still get my eggs from the store or, should I just buy them from a breeder?
Loved to hear what you have to say!

welcome-byc.gif

G’Day from down under VJCatGirl
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

G’Day from down under VJCatGirl :frow   Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member.  There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. 

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place.  BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)
Thank you for the warm welcome. I have already found that the people here are very kind with some really great tips for starting my little quail farm!

Hello from Kansas, VJ CatGirl, and :welcome! Pleased to have you in our community! Here's the link to the Quail Forum here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail
And the Hatching Forum here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs
And if you want to chat with some local poultry folk find your state thread in the link below and say howdy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
Hope you find the advice you seek! :)
Thank you for the website links but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for but they did help with some of my other questions.

welcome-byc.gif

I've never raised quail but it looks like you've found the answers to at least some of your questions. You could always try to hatch a greater number of eggs to increase your chance of getting the quail count you want and maybe sell the rest?

Best of luck to you!

:welcome

I've never raised quail but it looks like you've found the answers to at least some of your questions. You could always try to hatch a greater number of eggs to increase your chance of getting the quail count you want and maybe sell the rest?

Best of luck to you!
Thanks, I think I will incubate a dozen or two just in case. Selling the rest isn't a bad idea either.

Back
Top Bottom