Quail Class

Pics
Ehh... Most quail are meant to handle the cold. In winter in gets to 34-40 degrees at night here.
I feed mine 20% protein all flock, from Tractor Supply.
Quail are AMAZING little birbs.

Button/King/Chinese painted quail are not super cold hardy as they come from sub tropical climates.

@Morgk most general advice people give will be about coturnix/Japanese quail, although other types can have very different needs. In terms of cold though, the3quail is right that most kinds would be fine.

Last edited:
What are cold hardy breeds?
What’s everybody set up? What do u feed your quail? Do over all are they good?
I know that coturnix are quite cold hardy, as are bobwhites and California quail. As long as they are dry and have shelter, they can handle freezing weather quite well. Button quail (also known as king or Chinese painted), however are from southeast Asia and are not cold hardy at all.

I start mine on Purina Startena and feed them that until they are adults. At that point I start switching them over to Bar Ale game bird crumble.

Think we have a broody girl!
Not sure if she is broody..or just lazy though.
She is in one of her little dens, and doesn't run away when I put new water in there ( which they usually do! ) but got mad when I took one of our boys out, because I usually handle them in the morning. She started chirping VERY loudly until I put him back.
cleardot.gif

Broody or just... lazy? None of my girls have started to lay though.. so she has no eggs.

Hey friends!
As some of you may know..
I am starting a quail business. Anyways.. I raise them in our backyard, but my yard can only hold so many, as our neighbors hate us for all our birds...
Anybody know anybody who will buy extra chicks from me? or any of you guys?

Hey friends!
I am starting a quail business. Anyways.. I raise them in our backyard, but my yard can only hold so many, as our neighbors hate us for all our birds...
Put ads on craigslist, Nexdoor, etc. To be honest, though, if your neighbours hate you for your birds, I would seriously rethink the bird based business idea. Good relationships with the neighbours can make your life much easier.

Hey friends!
I don't know enough about quail yet to get any and I'm overrun with chickens at the moment. Have you got a garage or shed (adding lots of ventilation/windows) that you can raise them in? Or what about getting a partner that has space for them?
Some ideas to get you started brainstorming---
If space is the main issue come up with some ideas that turn that problem into part of the solution in your business plan...
Such as ...when I get X amount of live chicks then:
1) I will sell all the eggs for hatching and not hatch them myself.
2) I will sell chicks in a bundle with a mini startup kit marketed as breeder startup special (when you see items on clearance for your bundle that's when you buy them - like feeders or chick waterers or if you know how to build a wire crate add that in the bundle. The bundle can change with what you have in stock).
3) OR have a special where you only hatch when you have PRE-orders from customers. If the hatch fails you put the customer on the next hatch list. Let them know up front.

Put ads on craigslist, Nexdoor, etc. To be honest, though, if your neighbours hate you for your birds, I would seriously rethink the bird based business idea. Good relationships with the neighbours can make your life much easier.
Well.. The neighbors just hate us because our old rooster.. which we slaugtered just so they would stop complaining. They don't know I have quail.

I don't know enough about quail yet to get any and I'm overrun with chickens at the moment. Have you got a garage or shed (adding lots of ventilation/windows) that you can raise them in? Or what about getting a partner that has space for them?
Some ideas to get you started brainstorming---
If space is the main issue come up with some ideas that turn that problem into part of the solution in your business plan...
Such as ...when I get X amount of live chicks then:
1) I will sell all the eggs for hatching and not hatch them myself.
2) I will sell chicks in a bundle with a mini startup kit marketed as breeder startup special (when you see items on clearance for your bundle that's when you buy them - like feeders or chick waterers or if you know how to build a wire crate add that in the bundle. The bundle can change with what you have in stock).
3) OR have a special where you only hatch when you have PRE-orders from customers. If the hatch fails you put the customer on the next hatch list. Let them know up front.
Sadly.. our yard doesn't fit a shed. But thank you for everything else!!

Hey quail friends!
I recently got my first customer, and he wants a couple dozen of eggs. I have no eggs, which he knows, but pretty soon they should be laying. I heard they are seasonal layers though. Anything I can do to make them lay all year? The sale is kind of important to me, and I don't want to let my customer down.

Back
Top Bottom