Quail Coop Design options verses necessities?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PressOn, Mar 22, 2012.

1. PressOn

PressOn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Woods Cross Utah
    Should quail nest boxes be always on the ground?

Should quail nests have night covers to keep quail from sleeping in them?

What breeds of quail need a flight pen, and what breeds need a limited height ceiling?

What breeds of quail use perches and what breeds do not?

Should you use Rabbit Mesh on the bottom of the whole coop?

Coop cover and wind break, four season states verses no winter states?

Do you have any easy clean tips other than use Rabbit mesh on the bottom?

Has anyone tried low to ground quail coops with grass growing up though the Bottom?

Dust Boxes, do all breads need them? Are they a nice extra or a necessity?

Two or three story pens with Rabbit Mesh floor on each level? What is your opinion?

Food and water space, do all birds need to be able to access at the same time?

Should you have wind break on one side, two sides, three sides, three point five sides? Or everywhere but the bottom?

Minimum amount of square feet / quail? Please answer this breed specific!

Number of quail per nesting box?

Do any of your state extension offices have a good article on this subject? I love extension office sites.

How high off the ground should you have the bottom of the pen, and why?

Are there any disadvantages to tractor style coops other than predator, and pest control?

Do fully feathered chicks need to be separated from adults? What are some reasons to compartmentalize your coop to separate the birds?

I am going to build a great coop for Jumbo Brown Coturnix, this is going to be a lot of fun. Thank you in advance for being a part of my quail coop construction.

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Wow, tons of questions...it's great you are asking before you get them. Since you said that you are going to build a coop for Coturnix, I'll answer in bold with ONLY coturnix in mind. There are lots of differences for the different breeds, unfortunately, it's not a one size fits all.

The stickies are a great source of info too.

1 person likes this.
  3. redamber

redamber New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    This is very helpful!

4. Shoshannah1993

Shoshannah1993 New Egg

Apr 15, 2013
    Any updates? Pictures?

5. PressOn

PressOn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Woods Cross Utah
    I made it according to my planned dimentions but I have it set up for as a chicken Brooding coop. I am thinking of turning my chicken coop into a Coturnix coop, and making a new home for the hens.

6. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2014
    Reviving an old thread....
    I am starting quail coop in ten days. We right now have 2 families, five each, one in a basic large ground box with most of it covered in clear plastic panels/plastic mesh and one is our first chicken coop we bought in a store. A two story coop with "ground level" and ladder up into nesting boxes. Removable floor for maintenance.
    So we are expecting about 10 more quails - yes, one of our hens is sitting on quail eggs as I type. She already did it once, all good.
    Question. I want to add 2nd floor with several nesting boxes. Is that something against their nature? Ones in the store coop do lay eggs in nesting boxes and run up and down all the time, we keep food in both places - but night time, they have to be ushered upstairs with a little stick. They almost wait for one of us to show up and "encourage" them to go up - then they quickly line up the ladder and nest themselves in the boxes.
    With winter coming, I can make upper level insulated and warm. But is it something they simply don't want to have - climbing up - and prefer to stay in a "rambler"? I can make a large ground level box, less work anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by