Quail Coops

EverythingDucks

🙄🤚 𝙻𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎 𝙳𝚞𝚌𝚔
Premium Feather Member
May 7, 2020
The Bermuda Triangle
I'm new to quail. I haven't done a whole lot of research yet but I want to start for Coturnix, and eventually get Button quail. Don't worry, I have plenty of time to do tons of research. I just wanted to start here.

Can you keep them in the same coop?
And would this be a good coop? I would be like this lady's
As you can see it is predator proof with bricks and hardware clothe.
Do they need more of a coop area and not just a run sorta thing?

Hi there, I just watched a bit of that, and tbh it seems fine, but probably pretty expensive, and you still need to do a lot of work to predator proof it.

How many quail are you looking to have? You can probably keep quite a few coturnix in there, but I find that runs with a lot of space in the center are a bit of a waste, as the quail will usually stay towards well concealed corners and sides. If I put areas of cover, my birds will run from cover to cover, but don’t relax and meander around the middle.

Also, a short pen is best for quail so they can’t build up speed and hit their heads hard on the top when they get frightened and flush up. Many people have great success with 1 1/2 to 2 ft tall pens.

I keep my quail in short ground pens. Most I made myself, and I have a prefab thing that was so rickety when it arrived, I spent $70 and hours of time reinforcing each joint. The ones I made myself are mostly just hardware cloth and pvc. If a piece gives out I can cut and replace it cheaply and easily, but I haven’t had to do that yet. They’re light and easy to move if the spot they’re in is inconvenient.

I’ve found that lining the outside with cinder blocks is better than patio blocks because the cinderblocks hold in bedding, they block the wind, and block the birds view so they are much calmer and quieter. I filled the holes in the cinderblocks with soil and I planted strawberries, and the wild rabbits ate them as soon as they grew. But theoretically, the plants would have also blocked the view and added natural shade.

Back
Top Bottom