Quail Coops

so entertaining the idea of adding quail to our small homestead-i don't want to hijack this thread at all but how much room do they need? I think that I have enough stuff here to build them something but didn't know how much room or what they need. thanks

so entertaining the idea of adding quail to our small homestead-i don't want to hijack this thread at all but how much room do they need? I think that I have enough stuff here to build them something but didn't know how much room or what they need. thanks
At least one square foot per bird. More is better. They are ground birds, so they don't need perches, and while some can and will use ramps, it's better to avoid them.

so you can have a ground shelter, you don't need to have a wire bottom or is that best? Looks like there was both in this thread so just curious
I am not too worried about cleaning up after them, I spot clean the chicken coop daily so I would just add this into the routine.

so you can have a ground shelter, you don't need to have a wire bottom or is that best? Looks like there was both in this thread so just curious
I am not too worried about cleaning up after them, I spot clean the chicken coop daily so I would just add this into the routine.
I keep mine on the ground. Personally, I don't like wire bottom cages because it hurts their feet, but a lot of people use them. If you do use wire bottom, make sure they have dirt baths and ways to get off of the wire to rest their feet.

I keep mine on the ground. Personally, I don't like wire bottom cages because it hurts their feet, but a lot of people use them. If you do use wire bottom, make sure they have dirt baths and ways to get off of the wire to rest their feet.
I only ask bc we do get snow here and want them comfortable. I would prefer not to do the wire. thanks for the help

Just finished building mine, the quail seem happy but I'm going to add more hidey holes as I think they feel a bit vulnerable with the open space. I've planted into it and so far they prefer scratching in the straw over eating the plants- but I chose hardy varieties so they're surviving a bit of pecking as well.

20210919_102950.jpg
20210919_172657.jpg

Back
Top Bottom