Quail double eye injury -recovery hope?

KGQuail24

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have 5 month-old coturnix hens in a backyard flock of 6. They've been together peacefully since the same hatch and have been excellent layers all summer. Unfortunately,a severe bullying incident occured Thursday night (it's now Sunday), and one of the hens had both eyes severely pecked. They are both swollen tight shut, but I think the eyeballs are still in there (I think I see some movement under the lid). When I discovered her injury the following morning, I isolated the bully from the rest and brought the victim into an isolated cage in the house where I've been keeping the wounds clean & moist with antimicrobial spray and hand feeding her every couple of hours. She's done really well so far, eating significantly more each time, enough to be having small but normal-ish poops. I soak some kibble in water that has MannaPro electrolytes in it, plus mashed egg yolk. She has a good appetite and spends a lot of time grooming herself in addition to napping.😋

If you have experience with this type of injury, I would be very appreciative to know if your birds recovered their sight, and if so how long that took. I believe she's a strong and healthy bird besides this awful injury, but I obviously can't go on feeding her around the clock forever if she's blind. Looking for hope

Attachments

• IMG_20230903_174844195.jpg
    IMG_20230903_174844195.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230903_175631252.jpg
    IMG_20230903_175631252.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 9
Sorry about your bird!
Try washing the eye with saline and then applying some Terramycoin several times a day.
The bullying should get better over time :)

Great! If you've had to treat a bird with a similar injury, how quickly did they recover and rejoin the flock?
The closest I got to your type of injury was when a quail chick had an eye infection. It healed in a week or two and never affected any other chicks. But its aiming/pecking was a bit bad, probably because it spent the first days of its life looking out of one eye.

Back
Top Bottom