Quail Egg Pipped on Wrong End

Jun 30, 2010
Hello!

I have about 40 quail eggs in the incubator that were collected over a couple of days. Yesterday evening I noticed only one had an external pip but it was on the wrong end. By the time I went to bed it had made the whole slightly bigger but no progress overnight. Will this little guy make it on his own? He is definitely still alive in there. His beak will move once in a while!

IMG_1864.png

Last time I hatched 2 out of 21 pipped in the wrong place, one pipped on the bottom, and one on the side in the middle. Both zipped in their weird place and hatched, the one who pipped on the side zipped long ways around the tall part of the egg, on the longitude axis top to bottom! I have 15 in the incubator now, 9 have pipped, some are more on the fat end some in the middle, some at the top, I think they’ll be ok IMO.

I would wait a few hours for someone else to put their five penny worth in, although holding it to a torch check if the air sack is that end, if not I would personally open immediately, if there is air but not much consider opening early, if plenty of air need to check the egg to see it can manoeuvre and open up enough maYbe once it sTarts trying check it won’t drown then carefully give some aid, have a tissue nearby and staunch blood if any, good luck with it. I am neither a long term chicken keeper only a years experience, and not a top poster,top posters and views are usually that for a reason

Nope, it looks perfectly fine. My quail are slower hatchers than my ducks even. The fastest I've ever had one hatch from pip to zip was 22 hours. The longest was 49 hours from pip to zip. They take forever. He'll get it on his own. What's the humidity at?

Nope, it looks perfectly fine. My quail are slower hatchers than my ducks even. The fastest I've ever had one hatch from pip to zip was 22 hours. The longest was 49 hours from pip to zip. They take forever. He'll get it on his own. What's the humidity at?

I am keeping it around 65%!

Back
Top Bottom