Quail egg size-new layer

This just in--that big egg was, indeed, a double yolk!!

This just in--that big egg was, indeed, a double yolk!!

Haha nice!! Remember the shape and don't incubate them if you ever were to try - it's symmetrical, no big end/pointy end.

My eggs range from the cream/light blue with pretty little speckles/spots on dark brown or some of my hens do the whole dipped in caramel/coffee effect eggs :) much more splotchy with it being a warm light brown with varying shades of brown splotches, I think some look like they overlap and create different shades from those two shades lol. It's a cool effect.

Ok, remember the huge eggs I had... they are double yolk as well. They had pointy end, I incubated the big eggs not knowing they were double yolk. One started to form but stopped. It's the 7 day, I was candling them and removed the ones that are still green when lit inside. there is also one regular size egg that was double yolk. I am a lttle baffled in regards to these eggs. I have a few eggs that was fertilize and forming. can't wait to meet my new babies.
1f601.png

O
Ok, remember the huge eggs I had... they are double yolk as well. They had pointy end, I incubated the big eggs not knowing they were double yolk. One started to form but stopped. It's the 7 day, I was candling them and removed the ones that are still green when lit inside. there is also one regular size egg that was double yolk. I am a lttle baffled in regards to these eggs. I have a few eggs that was fertilize and forming. can't wait to meet my new babies.
1f601.png

Oh yikes!! It's a good thing you got them out, I hear hatch rates for double yolkers is bad because of so many possible complications. Strange they had the pointy end too :D at least to me hehe!

Yeah, it is strange... This was my first eggs from my A&Ms I thought it was just huge regular eggs... Then I had a few more, they look like regular eggs, but bigger...

Its kinda confusing when I get these... see the photo?

Thought you guys might enjoy them, I took photos of four of my eggs, one large and in charge one, one regular sized one, one smaller one and one tiny "fart/fairy" egg that I almost missed when I was cleaning out the cage
1f602.png
!!

Now the tedious process of attaching photos from a phone... Is there a backyardchickens app for that?!! :p

Fairy egg, small egg, normal egg, big egg

Inside the top part of the fairy egg, the yolk is outside of the membrane?!
1f643.png

Inside that membrane was empty and dry :p

Big egg - was a pointed double yolker! At least in the first pic lol.

Here is the cracked shell, spilled yolks beside the normal sized egg. Each yolk seemed to be nearly the same size as an average coturnix quail egg
1f61c.png

Cool and educational pictures Binki. That tiny "fairy/fart" egg doesn't even look like an egg! Heck, I might have thrown some of those out already and not know it!!

After from my first 4 eggs, we had a temp drop and all egg production stopped for a couple of weeks.

I was surprised yesterday to find an egg again ("normal" size) even though the temps are still fluctuation between "cold" and "<<insert expletive here>> freezing!."

So, it has been 2.5 wks. Some of the eggs I incubated that was from the first eggs, confirmed NOT fertile. But the second laid eggs were some what fertile, I have 5 out of 6 eggs that develop and now 1 of them had peeped. I am hoping that out of these 5 is 1boy and 4 girls it would be great.

Cool! So..what kind of incubator are you using? I don't have one yet but am thinking about it...

Back
Top Bottom