Quail eggs came in need advise

learning2homestead

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2017
Ok I am so excited. I got my Georgia bobwhite quail eggs in that I ordered from purely poultry and I am so excited. I can't wait to get them into my new incuview incubator I bought. So here is a background once the came in, I opened them up, examined them briefly, none broken, ordered 50, all 50 came in undamaged on the outside. I made sure all were facing small side down. sat them up on a shelf for now. I turned my incubator on to heat up for 24 hours and get stabilized. right now the incubator has been running fo r about 4 hours now and the temp is holding steady so far at 99.5 the humidity has been bouncing between 64% and 65%. The turning I have set for 6x a day. the egg-o-meter that I purchased to keep up with the internal temp of the egg has been bouncing between 96.1 and 96.5.

My question is, how does that sound? Is that going to work when I put the eggs in or would I need to adjust it any? I will be putting them in tomorrow morning. this will give me a chance to make sure I don't need to change anything or have time to change anything I need to change and have things settle before I put them in. Thanks for any advice and tips anyone has

Humidity for me is a touch high for incubation. I use 20 to 35 percent. That's has worked the best for me so far. Humidity is very tricky depending on your area. Just have to find what works for you.

Temps seem good. When I've tried shipped eggs I didn't turn the Turner on immediately after I set them. I turned it on on day 3. Gave the eggs time to settle out some more.

Hatched out some Bob's in Jan. They started laying in July. Got several chicks out of them.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help Feedman, I am in Texas. I hope that don't effect the hatching, cause we know the humidity in Texas is bad. lol. hopefully it will turn out good. Keeping fingers crossed

This past August I incubated 50 Georgia Giants from Wadly. The room temps bounced between 78 - 80 degrees (air conditioner running). Incubation was kept at 99.5 F and the humidity at 60%, bumped up to 75% the last three days. Incubator was only opened once to remove the turner, place eggs in paper create, and returned to the incubator. Out of the 50, 14 were clear, 36 hatched with no problems. I'm in North East Mississippi.

[QUOTE Incubation was kept at 99.5 F and the humidity at 60%, bumped up to 75% the last three days. Incubator was only opened once to remove the turner, place eggs in paper create, and returned to the incubator[/QUOTE]

Rusty that gives me hope. hopefully I can do as well as you did. I just have to figure out how to get the water into the little hole if I don't open the incubator the whole time the eggs are in there. how did you get the water in there?

Up until they pip open the bator as necessary to add water or candle.

The final 3 days troughs should be full for lockdown that should be plenty to get them through hatch.

Oxygen supply tubing run through the side of the incubator with outside end(s) plug into a large syringe and your good to go. The foam type incubators I run a line to each reservoir. Works using a wet bulb too with a bit more modification.

Ditto all of the above. Would add paper towell flooring not newspaper or bare flooring at lockdown. The smooth floor could cause splayed leg problems in those flimsy legs when hatched.

Back
Top Bottom