Quail Eggs- fertile???

IrishGardener

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 1, 2012
Lacey Washington
So, I have 10 coturnix quail. They will be 8 weeks on Friday. I had them inside and 3 were crowing. I put them all outside in one pen, at 5 weeks- it is quite hot, so I knew they would be ok. 2 are obvious males. They are the only 2 golden colored ones, and both were crowing. I have separated those 2 already. The rest ALL LOOK ALIKE! I watched videos that show male versus female, and it looks easy to identify them, but not mine. I KNOW one of the brown ones is a boy, but despite all my watching, he refuses to crow and identify himself. So today, I found 4 eggs. What do I do? Are they fertile? I am not interested in breeding/ incubating eggs. The plan was to separate the boys to their own hutch, and collect the eggs for eating! The boys will just be pets without benefits ;) Do I need to rehome the eggs? Are they edible? I know they wont develop without a hen or an incubator, but what is the protocol? I'm a newbie with all of this! Thanks for any help!

You can eat them they won't develope unless at 99 degrees and is turned 3 times a day for 18 days they taste like any other egg

Quail eggs taste amazing when hard boiled i had quail..ate them as they eat more then chickens for such a small egg
I am amazed at how much they eat! I hear the eggs are very nutritious though. I have 5 hens as well. I am a vegetarian, so I am happy to get the eggs. I'm a big softie and I think of all my birds as pets. They are just amazing to give me breakfast! Not like the other free loaders- dog, cats, turtles and fish- lol! I just need to nurture- it's my personality. Now that my kids are older, the animals are giving me someone to take care of. ;)

Back
Top Bottom