Quail eggs moving around but no signs of pips - on day 26~

shiori

In the Brooder
May 29, 2015
Hello..
Does anyone have any advice or input as to what I should do?
Do I just wait, see what happens, and hope for the best?

I'm afraid to take them out of the incubator to candle or float due to possible cracks or flux in temp~
They are definitely moving around in there...or at least I see the eggs rocking, wiggling...and turning..
...it's been well over the "normal" quail hatch day...4 others have hatched on days 15-17..

Am I seeing things? Gosh, I'm not ready to just give up on them... they seem alive in there~

Wow, day 26! Sure is taking them a long time to come out of those eggs!

If you are seeing movement, then just let things be. Keep your humidity up around 65% to 70%. Your vents need to be wide open and just wait it out. It is not advised to bust them out yourself as if they have not yet detached from the inside of the egg or absorbed the yolk sac yet.

So go sit on your hands somewhere and wait. :)

Last edited:
Hello..
Does anyone have any advice or input as to what I should do?
Do I just wait, see what happens, and hope for the best?

I'm afraid to take them out of the incubator to candle or float due to possible cracks or flux in temp~
They are definitely moving around in there...or at least I see the eggs rocking, wiggling...and turning..
...it's been well over the "normal" quail hatch day...4 others have hatched on days 15-17..

Am I seeing things? Gosh, I'm not ready to just give up on them... they seem alive in there~
If you plan on helping.. read this article several times by Sally Sunshine FIRST. very informative and helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

^.^
Thank you for your reply!! I REALLY appreciate the feedback. It's hard to sit and wait...but sit and wait I shall do~
I've put a damp paper towel and misted a little to boost the humidity~
I would like for nature to takes its course...

I am checking on them again..

Thank you so much for your input!!

fl.gif

Hi mate, did any hatch? I'm on day 21 today 🙈
This post was like 6 years old, they probably won’t reply.

what type of quail are you hatching?

Do not do the float test if you’re looking thru old posts, it’s dangerous and can drown your chicks if any are alive.

you can gently tap the eggs with your nail, hold them up to your ear and listen for sounds and movement. You can also candle them and look for movement, I find looking for movement near the edge of the air cell is easiest.

This post was like 6 years old, they probably won’t reply.

what type of quail are you hatching?

Do not do the float test if you’re looking thru old posts, it’s dangerous and can drown your chicks if any are alive.

you can gently tap the eggs with your nail, hold them up to your ear and listen for sounds and movement. You can also candle them and look for movement, I find looking for movement near the edge of the air cell is easiest.
Thanks FloorCandy. My first time hatching and i had 24 hatch from 80 eggs. I tried what you suggested, but before then i had already done the float test. I opened a few of the eggs and there were a few unfertilized eggs, but most of them were fully grown, however it looked like they died after pipping the inner membrane. Could this be lack of oxygen? Or drowning? the other shell was intact and wasnt pipped.

Thanks FloorCandy. My first time hatching and i had 24 hatch from 80 eggs. I tried what you suggested, but before then i had already done the float test. I opened a few of the eggs and there were a few unfertilized eggs, but most of them were fully grown, however it looked like they died after pipping the inner membrane. Could this be lack of oxygen? Or drowning? the other shell was intact and wasnt pipped.
If you floated them after they pipped internally, they probably drowned. The shell is porous, so water is able to get inside.

Back
Top Bottom