Quail eggs

Pea-in-a-Pod

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2015
Can a quail lay 2 eggs within a 24 hour period?
Is the coloring of the egg somewhat unique of that specific female?

I have 2 quail, but one of them I have long thought she was past her reproductive prime. I've had her for a couple of months and although she is healthy, she's never laid an egg, never even a soft-shell egg.
The other one is about 10 weeks old and I've had her for a couple of weeks, and she's been laying one egg every 24-48 hours.

This morning I found 2 eggs in their cage at about 7am (I picked an egg the previous day, too), and now I just found 2 more (7pm). I'm guessing a quail probably doesn't typically lay 2 eggs in 12 hours.

So I think the older one might have resumed laying. I also found her going broody on one of the eggs.

I know quail often don't go broody, but when one does, does she care whose eggs she sits on?

The two eggs this morning had different color schemes, and the ones from this evening had the same different color schemes. Are they coming from both of my girls?

It doesn't make a huge difference if both my quail are now laying vs. one is laying 2 eggs a day, but I thought I'd like to find out.

I'm new to quail keeping and so far loving it. My quail don't like to be handled much, but they are very cute, easy to look after, and, rewarding!

Thank you
Pea and Nugget

Thank you Arizona! I just found 2 more eggs in a short period of time so I think the two are both laying, too.
It's good news for me :)

Thank you!
Pea

Back
Top Bottom